The Historic National Road Yard Sale Days are frequently referred to by several other names: the US 40 Yard Sale, Route 40 Yard Sale and Route 40 Flea Market. No matter what you call it, the event features more than 800 miles of yard sales, vintage treasures, and antique booths. The route spans from Baltimore to St. Louis, crossing six states. The event always takes place on an extended weekend that starts the Wednesday following Memorial Day. The sale has been a tradition for the past 16 years.
Maps of the route are easy to find online but as long as you stay on Historic US route 40 the sales will be hard to miss. More than 800 miles of yard sales, antique tents and vintage booths stretch from Baltimore, Maryland to St. Louis, Missouri. The sale stretched through six states and is a great way to see the country while bargain hunting.
The yard sale usually starts the Wednesday after Memorial Day and lasts for five days. In 2019, the dates are Wednesday, May 29 through Sunday, June 2. It's open from dawn to dusk, rain or shine..
Historic National Road Yard Sale Days Shopping Tips
- Stop at the visitors' bureaus along the route for information on lodging, food, and local attractions.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and don't park or trespass on private property.
- Bring sunscreen and bottled water for hot days.
- Watch for group sales and antique vendors in parking lots, empty fields, and downtown areas of participating towns.
- When you see yard sale signs pointing you off of the main route, go ahead and take the detours. The less trafficked sales frequently yield some of the best finds.
- It's fine to negotiate politely, but make sure you don't do any of these haggling don'ts if you actually want to get the discount.
- Bush up on your highway yard sale shopping tips before you leave home and make sure you pack the essentials in your car. Then, practice using these proven haggling phrases along the way.
For more information about the U.S. 40 Historic National Road Yard Sale, visit their Facebook page, or call (765) 987-7565.