Banana cake is a popular Kwanzaa dessert, and this vegan banana cake will certainly hit the spot! Banana cake is similar to banana bread, but a little bit lighter and sweeter, but just as comforting and delicious. Top it off with a vegan cream cheese frosting for a real treat, perhaps with some crushed nuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon for presentation.
With lots of bananas, you need less oil, so this vegan banana cake is lower in fat than other recipes. If you're looking for something with a little less fat and a little less sugar, you might also want to check out this low-fat vegan banana bread recipe.
If you're not sure what a vegan is, you'll want to check out this simple vegan definition here, and if you're looking for more vegan recipes, you'll find plenty of vegan recipes here.
Scroll down for more vegan cake recipes and Kwanzaa recipes to try.
See also: More vegan desserts
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup oil (vegetable oil or canola oil is best because of their neutral flavor)
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour with the baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the sugar and oil, then add in the mashed bananas.
- Next, add the water and vanilla, stirring to combine.
- Finally, add in the flour and baking soda mixture, stirring just until ingredients are lightly mixed and thoroughly wet. You don't want to over mix.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Frost your vegan banana cake with a vegan cream cheese frosting - yum!
If you like making fun and unusual vegan cakes at home, here's a few more vegan cake recipes you'll want to check out: