Never tried making banana cake before? You should! Need a good reason? It's a popular vegan cake recipe, it's a delicious and healthy dessert, and, if you're reading this, you probably have a few bananas that you need to use up quickly. Who needs more reason than that?
Banana cake is a popular dessert for people celebrating Kwanzaa, and this vegan banana cake will certainly hit the spot no matter what the occasion is! Banana cake is similar to banana bread, but a little bit lighter and sweeter, but just as comforting and delicious. Top it off with a vegan cream cheese frosting for a real treat, perhaps with some crushed nuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon for presentation.
With lots of bananas, you need less oil, so this vegan banana cake is lower in fat than other recipes. As far as vegan dessert recipes go, it's all around pretty great. If you're looking for something with even a little less fat and a little less sugar, you might also want to check out this low-fat vegan banana bread recipe.
If you're not sure what a vegan is, you'll want to check out this simple vegan definition here, and if you're looking for more vegan recipes, you'll find plenty of vegan recipes here.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup oil (vegetable oil or canola oil is best because of the neutral flavor)
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour with the baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the sugar and oil, then add in the mashed bananas.
- Next, add the water and vanilla, stirring to combine.
- Finally, add in the flour and baking soda mixture, stirring just until ingredients are lightly mixed and thoroughly wet. You don't want to over mix.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the pre-heated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once it cools, your homemade banana cake will be perfectly delicious just as it is. However, if you'd like, you can always frost your vegan banana cake with a vegan cream cheese frosting - yum! Or, for something a bit healthier and tropical inspired, try this raw vegan coconut butter, agave nectar and lemon frosting recipe.
If you like making fun and unusual vegan cakes at home, here's a few more vegan cake recipes you'll want to check out: