This healthy vegan Chinese restaurant-style recipe for broccoli in a sweet garlic sauce is best served with cooked rice. If you want something a bit more well-rounded, feel free to add in some other veggies too—perhaps sliced carrots or baby corn, or even some tofu for a heartier meal.
This broccoli with garlic sauce recipe is vegetarian, vegan, and, if you use tamari in place of the soy sauce, it's gluten-free, too. Just be sure your vegetable broth is also gluten-free (read the label—some are and some aren't).
Nutritional information per serving, including 1/2 cup cooked rice (from Calorie Count):
Calories: 291, Calories from Fat: 54 % Daily Value:
Total Fat: 6.0g, 9%; Saturated Fat: 0.9g, 4%
Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
Sodium: 921mg, 38%
Total Carbohydrates: 51.9g, 17%
Dietary Fiber: 5.5g, 22%
Vitamin A 27%, Vitamin C 302%, Calcium 11%, Iron 12%
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (or tamari to keep it gluten-free)
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 bunches of broccoli (chopped)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil.
- Add the garlic, soy sauce, ginger, red pepper and sugar, stirring to combine well.
- In a large skillet, saute the broccoli in olive oil until just barely tender.
- Add the vegetable broth mixture to the broccoli.
- Add the cornstarch, stirring well to avoid any clumps.
- Allow to cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
- Serve over rice or another whole grain, such as quinoa or millet.