Cake mix isn't just for cake anymore! Try this vegan cake mix cookie recipe to quickly make some yummy cookies the whole family will love. Just about any cake mix flavor will do, but be sure to read the ingredients on the label if you're vegan to be sure there aren't any ingredients in the mix that are off-limits for your diet, such as dehydrated eggs or milk. I've made these cookies with lots of different types of cake mixes, such as lemon, pumpkin, chocolate and even vanilla. They turn out fantastic every time.
- 1 box cake mix, any flavor
- 1 cup margarine
- Egg replacer equivalent of 2 eggs (Ener-G works best)
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together all ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
- Refrigerate dough for at least a half hour. (This will help it firm up before using.)
- Using a spoon, scoop dough into balls and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees.
Cookies will be soft and chewy. Yum!
- Have you ever wondered how cake mix came to be? The concept for cake mix dates back to the 1930s, when an employee of a molasses company was faced with a surplus of the sticky, sweet liquid. He patented his dehydrated cake mix, but it wasn't until after World War II that cake mixes really started taking off. At that time, big flour companies, which had increased production during the war years to prepare for a larger postwar market, were looking for new markets to sell their products. They decided to cash in on the changing times and started to create cake mixes to appeal to homemakers living in a busy, modern world. Selling convenience worked, and that's why we now have so many mixes for cookies, cakes, brownies and more. Thank a World War II veteran next time you make these cookies!
Looking for more vegan cookies? Experiment with these recipes next time you're in the baking mood!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Easy Peanut Butter Cookies
Sugar-Free Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
Park, M. Y. (2013, September 26). A history of the cake mix, the invention that redefined “baking.” Retrieved December 4, 2016, from BON APPÉTIT, http://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/pop-culture/article/cake-mix-history