You can use coconut milk to make a simple vegan coconut frosting in just a couple of minutes. With just three simple ingredients, this is a quick and easy dairy-free and egg-free vegan frosting recipe.
The coconut flavor is subtle in this recipe, which may or may not be exactly what you want. For a stronger coconut flavor, try using canned coconut cream instead of coconut milk and adding just a tiny pinch of salt to bring out the flavors. If you do use coconut cream, you'll likely need to use a bit more than 1/4 cup, since the coconut cream will be thicker and denser than the coconut milk.
If you need a cake to go with the frosting, try this pineapple coconut cake. You may also use the coconut milk frosting as an alternative to cream cheese frosting on a vegan carrot cake, or browse through some more of the most popular and easy vegan cake recipe ideas.
You may also want to team this coconut frosting with sprinkling shredded coconut or coconut flakes on top of your dessert. That will make a nice presentation as well as giving your topping an extra burst of coconut flavor.
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup vegan margarine or butter substitute
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- Place the ingredients into a bowl.
- Whisk or blend together all ingredients until icing is smooth and creamy, adding more powdered sugar or liquid as needed.
- Use the frosting to ice a cake, cupcakes, or other desserts.
- If you have difficulty getting all of the ingredients well blended by hand, you could start by mixing them together in a bowl and then transferring them to a food processor or using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer to get them well-blended.
- You wouldn't want to put the powdered sugar into a food processor or mixer bowl without having stirred it together with the margarine and coconut milk. That would result in a lot of airborne powdered sugar and a sugar-dusted kitchen to clean up.
- You will want to put on an apron before you start this recipe. Powdered sugar will be wafting around no matter how careful you are in pouring it into a bowl and gently mixing. You can also expect to have to do some clean-up of your kitchen counter afterward.
More Vegan Frosting Recipes
Traditional frosting recipes often use dairy products such as milk, butter, cream, and cream cheese. These recipes swap them for vegan ingredients:
- Easy Vegan Vanilla Frosting: A similar recipe using vanilla soy milk.
- Easy Sugar-free Vegan Chocolate Frosting: It takes a little cooking to melt the chocolate for this recipe.
- Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting: Enjoy this recipe using Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese.
- Creamy Fat-free Tofu Frosting: Rather than margarine, this recipe uses soft (silken) tofu with powdered sugar.