If you're looking for an easy way to create a unique and flavorful mashed sweet potato dish for a vegetarian Thanksgiving, Kwanzaa, or for any time you need a quick vegetarian potato recipe, look no further!
These vegan mashed sweet potatoes use coconut milk and oil or vegan margarine instead of dairy milk and butter, making them dairy-free, cholesterol-free and much, much healthier than many other mashed sweet potato recipes. Make these sweet potatoes to enjoy as part of your vegan or vegetarian holiday spread, or anytime you want to enjoy the sweet, yummy flavor of sweet potatoes with a meal.
- 5 or 6 large sweet potatoes or yams, chopped (see cook's note below)
- Water for boiling
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 3/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon curry
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or vegan margarine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, cover the yams or sweet potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Allow to simmer for at least 15 minutes, or until soft.
- Mash the sweet potatoes to desired consistency and add coconut milk, ginger, curry, olive oil or vegan margarine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to suit your taste preference.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve warm alongside your favorite vegan Thanksgiving side dishes.
- Have you ever wondered what difference, if any, there is between sweet potatoes and yams? After all, they're often interchangeable in recipes such as this one. Well, for starters, they are in fact different, and it turns out that neither sweet potatoes nor yams are actually potatoes at all, but tubers. Yams are shaped like cylinders and typically have white flesh on the inside, with a rough and dark skin that can appear almost hairy. Sweet potatoes, on the other hand, have smooth skin and tapered ends. Their flesh ranges from beige to orange to purple.
Not quite the perfect recipe? Here are more vegetarian and vegan Thanksgiving sweet potato side dish ideas for you to try:
Orange Cranberry Sweet Potatoes recipe
Sweet Potatoes with Cranberries Recipe
Sweet Potatoes with Peaches Recipe
Orange Pralined Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Fuller, J. R. (2015, November 5). What’s the difference between sweet potatoes and Yams? Retrieved December 4, 2016, from Epicurious, http://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/whats-the-difference-between-sweet-potatoes-and-yams-article