If you're looking for an easy way to create a unique and flavorful mashed sweet potato dish for a vegetarian Thanksgiving, Kwanzaa, or for any time you need a quick vegetarian potato recipe, look no further!
These vegan mashed sweet potatoes use coconut milk and oil or vegan margarine instead of dairy milk and butter, and they are gently spiced with ginger and curry powder to bring out the flavors of the sweet potatoes (or you can also use yams). With no dairy and no butter, this simple side dish is vegetarian, vegan, dairy-free, cholesterol-free and much, much healthier than many other mashed sweet potato recipes. It's a great allergen-safe recipe to share with a group, since it is also gluten-free as well.
Make these mashed sweet potatoes to enjoy as part of your vegan or vegetarian holiday spread, or anytime you want to enjoy the sweet, yummy flavor of sweet potatoes with a meal.
- 5 or 6 large sweet potatoes or yams, chopped
- Water for boiling
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 3/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. curry
- 2 tbsp. olive oil or vegan margarine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, prepare the yams or sweet potatoes. You'll need to first give them a good rinse and a scrub as needed, in order to get rid of any lingering bits of dirt or soil. Then, peel your sweet potatoes or yams and chop them into large chunks.
- Once your sweet potatoes are prepared, in a large pot, cover the yams or sweet potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Allow the sweet potatoes to simmer for at least 15 minutes, or until they are very soft, then drain the water well.
- Next, mash the sweet potatoes to the desired consistency (you can purree them with a hand blender or even in a stand mixer to make them light and airy, or, you can coarsely mash them with a large fork - this is a matter of personal preference, and up to you!), and then add in the coconut milk, ginger, curry, olive oil or vegan margarine, mashing or pureeing these ingredients all together until fully combined.
- Taste, and adjust the seasonings to suit your personal taste preference.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Note that it is highly recommend to use either sea salt or kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper in order to achieve the best flavor for your mashed sweet potatoes. Enjoy!
Vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free.
Serve your mashed sweet potatoes warm alongside your favorite vegan Thanksgiving side dishes and your vegetarian turkey substitute!