Oats were brought to North Americas in the early 1600's. The grain is celebrated in January during National Oatmeal Month. Whether you're cozying up to a bowl in winter or not, this coconut oatmeal is a perfect vegan breakfast for vegans that meat eaters can enjoy as well. Requiring little time and little effort, it's big on taste and nutrition. Prepared with oats, almond milk, and three kinds of coconut, it's no wonder it's so good!
Ingredient Substitutions and Cooking Tips
Here are a few other ways to dress up this great vegan breakfast recipe with different ingredients:
Go Bananas: Add one sliced banana to the bowl at any point during cooking or just before serving.
Chocolate Chip-It: This is pretty self-explanatory. Just add a couple tablespoons of dairy-free dark chips to the bowl just before serving (don't add them until you're ready to eat, or they'll melt too quickly).
Go Nuts: Add a handful of pretty much whatever kind of nuts you have on hand. Chopped pecans, raw walnuts, and almonds are all great options.
Go Granola: Add a few tablespoons of your favorite dairy-free granola to the oatmeal just before serving for a little extra crunch. This Coconut Granola or this Maple Granola are both delicious homemade options.
Get Fruity: Add a few tablespoons of any dried fruits you're craving. Dried cranberries, dried cherries, and raisins are all awesome additions.
If you happen to love Silk's Pure Coconut Milk line as much as I do, feel free to replace the almond milk and lite coconut milk with the original or vanilla variety. And, if you're cooking for a gluten allergy or intolerance, just make sure to pick up certified gluten-free oats.
- 3/4 cup 1-minute oats (also called quick-cooking oats)
- 1 cup plain almond milk (either store-bought or homemade, plus more if needed)
- 1/2 cup lite coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoon shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Garnish: shredded sweetened coconut
- Combine the 1-minute oats, plain almond milk, lite coconut milk and water in a small saucepan over high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until mixture comes to a boil. Add in the shredded coconut, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon, stirring just enough to mix.
- Cook for just 30 seconds or so more, or until the oatmeal comes to the right consistency. Remove from heat. If oatmeal is too thick, add a splash or so more of almond milk or coconut milk and mix well to combine.
- Transfer oatmeal to a serving bowl. Top the oatmeal with the sweetened shredded coconut, and mix in before enjoying.