Indulge in a spreadable vegan cream cheese frosting using non-dairy cream cheese and vegan margarine. It's fluffy and delectably smooth. This is the perfect topping for a vegan carrot cake, use it to frost some vegan pumpkin cookies or, for something different, try using it to top off this vegan Hawaiian rum cake. Vegan cream cheese frosting is also a good choice for icing a homemade vegan pumpkin bread. See also: More egg-free and vegan cake recipes for any occasion
Many vegans are of the opinion that when it comes to non-dairy vegan cream cheeses, there's really only one contender: Tofutti brand, and the hydrogenated one at that. True, hydrogenated oils are not good for you, but the taste difference between the Tofutti regular cream cheese and the non-hydrogenated version is vast. Save the non-hydrogenated version for your everyday uses, and splurge on the blue tub for a recipe such as this one, which is meant to be sweet, delicious and the perfect topping to your vegan cake.
You'll need powdered sugar, so break out an apron even if you don't regularly wear one while cooking. No matter how carefully you open the package, pour it into the mixing bowl, and gently start to mix, you will end up with powdered sugar on your clothing and counter.
- 1 container vegan Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese (non-dairy cream cheese substitute)
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, slightly softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- First, combine the vegan cream cheese and the vegan margarine in a large bowl, beating them together to combine well.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, and then add in the vanilla extract and the lemon juice.
- Beat all of the ingredients together until they are soft, fluffy and fully smooth and well combined.
This vegan cream cheese frosting will firm up slightly in the refrigerator as the margarine hardens again, so keep it at room temperature to spread is on your cakes or cupcakes, then chill them in the refrigerator.
More Vegan Frosting Recipes
If you are looking at frosting recipes that aren't vegan, they almost always will contain milk and dairy ingredients. But you can easily make vegan frosting by using substitutions for milk, cream, butter, cream cheese and other non-vegan ingredients. Here's a few more simple and easy vegan frosting recipes to try:
- Refined Sugar-Free Vegan Chocolate Frosting Recipe: If you want to avoid refined sugar and artificial sweeteners, this recipe uses maple syrup to provide the sweetness.
- Vegan Lemon Frosting: Enjoy the refreshing flavor of lemon with this frosting.
- Easy Vegan Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe: Just what it says, and couldn't be simpler!
- Vegan Coconut Frosting: Make a buttery frosting without butter or milk.
- See also: More egg-free and vegan cake recipes for any occasion