Cream of mushroom soup is a staple for many homemade dishes or to enjoy by itself. You can make this vegan cream of mushroom soup using vegetable broth, soy milk, and a dairy-free sour cream substitute.
This popular dairy-free and vegan mushroom soup has received numerous positive reviews, so you'll be sure to love it too. It doesn't require any fancy equipment, just some slicing, and dicing, sauteing, and heating on the stovetop.
- Slice the mushrooms, dice the onions, and mince the garlic.
- In a large soup or stock pot, saute the mushrooms, onion, and garlic in vegan margarine for 3 to 5 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the vegetable broth. Cover the pot and allow it to simmer for at least 45 minutes.
- Add the flour, non-dairy sour cream, and soy milk, stirring well to combine.
- Allow to simmer another 20 to 30 minutes, or until soup has thickened.
- Season generously with salt and pepper before serving.
You can serve the cream of mushroom soup as a meal-starter or enjoy it for lunch or a simple dinner. Pair it with a green salad and enjoy it with some crusty bread.
You can make this ahead if you are going to be serving it to guests. In fact, the mushroom flavor should intensify if you allow it to chill in the refrigerator overnight. Use leftovers within three or four days of preparation.
You might also experiment with cooking farro or wild rice and then add it to the soup for extra body. You might also add some vegan cheese.
If you like to use cream of mushroom soup as an ingredient, you can refrigerate it after preparing and then add it to noodles dishes, rice dishes, or to vegetables for a vegetarian stew. One caveat is that it won't freeze well as the ingredients may separate.
Do you like making homemade vegetarian soups? Here are more recipes you'll want to try: