Cream of mushroom soup is a staple for many homemade dishes or to enjoy by itself. You can make this vegan cream of mushroom soup using vegetable broth, soy milk (or any vegan milk substitute you prefer) and a dairy-free sour cream substitute.
This popular dairy-free and vegan mushroom soup has received numerous positive reviews, so you'll be sure to love it too. It doesn't require any fancy equipment, just some slicing, and dicing, sauteeing, and heating on the stovetop.
Need this simple homemade mushroom soup recipe to be gluten-free as well as vegetarian and vegan? It does call for flour as a thickener, but you could just as easily use an equal amount of corn starch dissolved in about 2-3 tablespoons of water to thicken it up and keep this cream of mushroom soup completely wheat-free and gluten-free. Also, check to make sure that your vegetable broth is gluten-free as well, as some are, and some aren't. Or, make your own homemade vegetable broth so you know exactly what is in it.
- Slice the mushrooms, dice the onions, and mince the garlic.
- In a large soup or stock pot, saute the mushrooms, onion, and garlic in vegan margarine for 3 to 5 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the vegetable broth. Cover the pot and allow it to simmer for at least 45 minutes.
- Add the flour (or use corn starch mixed in water to keep it gluten-free_ non-dairy sour cream, and soy milk, stirring well to combine.
- Allow to simmer another 20 to 30 minutes, or until soup has thickened.
- Season generously with salt and pepper before serving.
You can serve this simple vegan cream of mushroom soup as a meal-starter or enjoy it for lunch or a simple dinner. Pair it with a side green salad and enjoy it with some crusty bread.
You can make this ahead of time if you are going to be serving it to guests. In fact, the mushroom flavor should intensify if you allow it to chill in the refrigerator overnight. Use leftovers within three or four days of preparation.
Like making homemade vegetarian and vegan soups? Here are more recipes you'll want to try: