Looking for the perfect homemade vegan gingerbread cookie recipe for Christmas or the holidays? Look no further, because you've found it! These classic holiday gingerbread cookies are completely vegan and made with egg replacer and vegan margarine, which means they are completely cholesterol-free as well.
Vegan gingerbread cookies are perfect for a Christmas cookie exchange. Then again, why wait for the holidays? Vegan gingerbread cookies are wonderful year-round (and you don't have to roll them out into shapes, just form them into flat balls if you're making them outside of the holidays). These cookies are made with molasses, egg replacer, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
Note that with this recipe, you'll need to plan in advance, as the dough does need to be chilled for at least an hour or two, and up to overnight.
The molasses in these vegan gingerbread cookies keeps them super soft, which I absolutely love in a cookie, but, as one reviewer pointed out, if you're looking to construct gingerbread houses, you'll need something that turns out a bit firmer. But these gingerbread cookies are great for decorating, or for people like me who love super soft gingerbread cookies! They cookies can be baked just rolled into small balls, or, you can roll them out and cut them into shapes and decorate them with any kind of vegan icing.
Either way, enjoy your homemade vegan holiday gingerbread cookies!
Looking for more vegan Christmas cookies ideas? See also:
- First, beat together the vegan margarine and sugar in a large bowl. Add the prepared egg replacer, the molasses and the apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg to combine well. Then, combine this flour mixture with the margarine and sugar mixture and stir until well mixed.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight if possible. This will help the cookie dough to become firm. You can skip this step if you're baking regular ball cookies, but, if you're going to cut the dough into shapes, you won't want to skip the refrigeration.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
- Form mixture into 1/2 inch balls and flatten, or, roll out onto floured surface and cut into shapes using cookie cutters.
- Place on cookie sheets and bake for 6-8 minutes until done.
More Vegan Cookie Recipes: