This vegan poppy seed and lemon cake is a great vegan cake for summer or anytime. It's light and fluffy with a fresh lemon taste. If you need a vegan cake recipe, give this recipe for lemon poppy seed cake a try.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease then flour 2 9-inch square or round cake pans.
- Grate 4 teaspoons of lemon rind and squeeze 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice. Combine the lemon juice with the nondairy creamer and set aside.
- Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking soda, and salt and set this aside.
- With an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the vegan margarine with the sugar and grated lemon rind for 5 minutes. Beat in the egg replacer and the vanilla. Reduce the speed of the electric mixer to low and beat in the flour mixture one-third at a time, alternating with one-third of the creamed mixture at a time. Beat until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans. Bake for 30 minutes until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
Reprinted with permission from The Compassionate Cook Cookbook.