Vegan chocoholics rejoice! You can have your cake and eat it too. This vegan, low-fat chocolate applesauce cake recipe uses applesauce instead of eggs or oil, making it nearly fat-free and guilt-free! Though its a little bit heavier than other cakes, the generous amount of cocoa makes this vegan cake absolutely heavenly.
Do your loved one's health a favor and make this cake the next time you're in charge of cake for a birthday party or other celebration.
If this nearly fat-free vegan chocolate applesauce cake doesn't sound like the recipe you're looking for, check out these other vegan cake recipes, or browse through even more vegans dessert ideas here.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- Pre-heat oven to 325 F.
- Grease and flour a bundt cake pan.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add applesauce and mix well until batter is smooth.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, until done.
Recipe note: You can always tell when a cake is finished baking by sticking a toothpick in the center of the cake.
If the toothpick comes out clean, that is, not covered in batter, then your cake is done baking.
- This recipe calls for using a bundt cake pan, but you can use other cake pans, such as a square or round cake pan. However, because this cake is a bit heavy, layered cake pans are not recommended.
- Using applesauce in place of oil helps to reduce the amount of fat and calories in the cake. With its mild flavor, applesauce doesn't overpower the chocolate flavor of the cake.
- If you're not accustomed to baking with applesauce and you're nervous about the consistency of your cake, try a test run before a big event. A test run can ease your mind and help you feel confident bringing this healthier version along to a birthday party.
More vegan cake recipes:
If this low-fat and nearly fat-free applesauce cake doesn't sound like the recipe you're looking for, check out these other vegan cake recipes:
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- Sugar-free Vegan Carrot Cake
- Easy Vegan Yellow Cake
- Pineapple Upside-down Dump Cake
- Easy Vegan Soda Cake
Makes 8 nearly fat-free cake slices.
Calories per slice: 242, Calories from Fat: 7
Total Fat: 0.8g, 1% RDA
Cholesterol: 0mg, 0% RDA
Sodium 390mg, 16%
Total Carbohydrates: 56.9g, 19%
Dietary Fiber: 2.5g, 10%
Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 1%, Calcium 1%, Iron 11%