Use any kind of mushrooms you like in this creamy vegan mushroom sauce. Try shiitake, oyster mushrooms, portobello, plain button mushrooms or even a combination of mushrooms.
A mushroom cream sauce is often paired with meat, but it's just as dandy over fettuccine pasta, egg noodles, baked potatoes, or even tofu steaks or any kind of mock meat. Inspired by the flavors of Italian cuisine, this dairy-free and vegan mushroom sauce is made with soy milk, a bit of fresh chopped parsley, garlic and a touch of freshly cracked black pepper. I might also add a bit of crushed red pepper flakes or a dash of cayenne, if I was feeling spicy. Enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine
- 8-12 ounces of mushrooms (sliced; try shiitake, oyster mushrooms, or portobello)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened soy milk (or almond milk)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley (chopped)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons if you don't have fresh lemons)
- Sea salt or kosher salt (to taste)
- Fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 10 oz. cooked pasta (such as fettuccine or linguine, prepared according to package instructions)
Melt one tablespoon of the vegan margarine in a sauce pan over medium heat, then add the mushrooms and garlic. Sauté the mushroom and garlic until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the mushrooms and garlic from the pan and set them aside.
Again over medium heat, melt the second tablespoon of vegan margarine, then stir in the flour to form a paste and allow to cook for about one minute. Gradually stir in the soy milk and whisk the mixture together until smooth.
You should have a thick paste.
Next, add the mushrooms, fresh parsley, lemon juice, sea salt or kosher salt, and pepper and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. The sauce should begin to thicken. If it doesn't, turn up the heat or you could even add a bit more flour or even corn starch to get it to thicken up if needed.
Pour your fresh mushroom cream sauce over warm cooked pasta or noodles, garnish with a touch of additional fresh chopped parsley (if desired), and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Bored of basic marinara or spaghetti sauce? Here's some absolutely non-boring exciting meatless homemade pasta sauce recipes to try:
- Vegan red pepper pesto recipe
- Creamy vegan alfredo sauce
- Meatless pumpkin and sage pasta sauce recipe
- Easy homemade walnut sauce for pasta
- Avocado and pesto pasta
- Curried vegan marinara fusion sauce
- Three bean pasta with creamy spinach sauce
- Italian pasta puttanesca with capers and olives
- Fresh apricot pasta
- Easy vegan pasta primavera recipe
- Mascarpone and gorgonzola two-cheese Italian pasta sauce