This healthy recipe for vegan pumpkin muffins comes from Sugar Ridge Retreat Centre in Canada. This recipe is made with whole wheat flour and less sugar than other muffin recipes and is a healthy whole wheat vegan muffin for Thanksgiving, Halloween or anytime you're hungry for pumpkin.
Another great reason to love this vegan pumpkin recipe? It doesn't need any egg replacer, so it's a great vegan option when you're all out, and, with just 1/2 cup of sugar, it's also relatively low in refined sugar, compared to other pumpkin muffins.
If you like making healthy homemade vegan muffins, here's more vegan muffin recipes you might want to check out.
See also: More vegetarian pumpkin treats
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soy milk (or another vegan milk substitute)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, sunflower seeds or other nuts or seeds (optional)
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries (or both, optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F and line or lightly grease a muffin tin.
- Mix together the whole wheat flour, sugar baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the soy milk, vegetable oil, maple syrup, and pumpkin puree.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine to make a smooth batter.
- Mix in nuts/seeds and dried fruit.
- Spoon the batter into muffin tins about 2/3 full, then bake for 20- 25 minutes. Muffins should be golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. If not, keep them in the oven a few more minutes.
Makes 12 muffins.
Here are more vegan muffin recipes to try:
- Vegan banana coconut muffins
- Oatmeal chocolate banana muffins
- Five-star vegan pumpkin muffins
- Basic vegan banana muffins
- Vegan strawberry banana muffins
- Sugar-free vegan cranberry muffins
- Fat-free vegan banana muffins
- Sweet potato cranberry muffins for Thanksgiving
- Vegan corn muffins
- Basic blueberry muffins
- Sweet potato muffins
- Lemon poppy seed muffins