Vegans love cornbread too! Skillet cornbread, baked in the oven in a cast iron skillet, is a traditional Southern favorite. And, if you're vegan, you don't have to miss out. Vegan cornbread is one of the most popular vegan recipes people like to try right away as a new vegan. Folks love their cornbread! Try this dairy-free and egg-free version of a homemade vegan skillet cornbread with a bit of jalapeno peppers for a bit of a kick.
Need an added bonus reason to try this vegan skillet cornbread recipe? This version is completely refined sugar-free, with maple syrup for a natural sweetener instead of refined sugar. Perfect for vegans or anyone else who avoids refined sugar.
Skillet cornbread is the perfect accompaniment to a complete meatless Southern meal. Start with some Southern fried seitan "chicken", add some collard greens and, along with this homemade cornbread, you're in just about set for a complete vegetarian and vegan Southern-themed meal! And for a Southern dessert? How about this vegan chocolate rum pie or just a nice comforting homemade vegan bread pudding. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk (another
- non-dairy milk substitute is fine too, but plain unsweetened soy milk is best)
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (or to taste)
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Vegan butter or vegan margarine for greasing skillet (about 1 tbsp.)
- Pre-heat the oven to 375F. Lightly grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet and then place it in the oven to heat it up.
- In a small bowl, stir together the soy milk and lemon juice.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and diced jalapeno peppers. Set this large bowl aside.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the corn kernels with the vegetable oil and maple syrup until smooth, creamy and well combined.
- Add the soy milk and lemon juice mixture to the blended corn and oil mixture and combine well. Next, slowly add to the flour mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Remove the cast iron skillet from the oven (don't forget - it'll be hot! Be careful when removing it from the oven and handling it). Add the vegan butter or margarine to the skillet, swirling it around to coat the skillet well, including the edges as much as possible) and to help it melt. This layer of vegan butter or margarine is what will give your homemade skillet cornbread its characteristic (and delicious!) crispy bottom and edges.
- Once the vegan butter or margarine is fully melted all over the skillet, pour the prepared cornbread batter into the greased skillet and return to the oven to bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
Enjoy your homemade vegan skillet cornbread!
- Easy vegan recipes to try
- Most popular vegan recipes