An easy recipe for vegetarian Spanish rice, using fresh tomatoes, bell peppers and green chilies. Although this Spanish rice recipe calls for bell peppers, you could also dice some carrots or add some peas or corn to the mix. A bit of fresh diced cilantro goes well with Spanish rice as well. Never made Spanish rice before? Not to worry. This version is practically foolproof. There's not even any sauteeing, and really only one step to this dish: just prep your ingredients, then simmer everything together until the rice is fully cooked.
Not sure what to do with this simple homemade Spanish rice? Here's a few ideas. You could serve it alongside fried eggs (or a vegan tofu scramble) and salsa for a simple Mexican-themed breakfast, cook up some beans of just about any kind and use this simple Spanish rice to make vegetarian burritos, or, serve it up alongside just about any Mexican-themed entree - enchiladas, taquitos, quesadillas, burritos, tacos or fajitas - to make a more complete family meal (along with a healthy side green salad, of course).
You might also want to try this easy Mexican rice recipe or this easy vegan version of Spanish rice in the crockpot. Want something even more creative? For a true crown-pleaser, try one of these four homemade vegetarian paella recipes or a vegetarian Jambalaya.
This recipe is both vegetarian and vegan. If you need it to be gluten-free as well, just be sure to use a homemade or a gluten-free vegetable broth, as that's the only place gluten can hide in this recipe. The remaining ingredients, including the rice, vegetables, and chilies, are all gluten-free.
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 1/3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup rice
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 4 ounce can green chilies
- First, in a food processor or blender, blend together the crushed tomatoes, minced garlic, chopped onion and 1/3 cup of the vegetable broth until smooth. Set this mixtures aside.
- Next, heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add in the rice and give it a stir until the rice is well coated with the oil.
- Stir the tomato, garlic and onion mixture into the rice. Add in the remaining vegetable broth, cover, and allow cook over low heat until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender, about 25 minutes, stirring just once or twice.
- Stir in the chopped green bell peppers, red bell peppers and the green chilies. Heat through and serve immediately.
Looking for more vegetarian and vegan rice recipes? If you're cooking on a budget (and even if you're not) and you're looking for more ways to make rice and beans, here's 8 creative ways to make rice and beans, including vegetarian rice soup, vegan Cuban black rice and beans, brown rice with pineapple, and more. You can find many more vegetarian rice recipes right here on TheSpruce, including several vegetarian Spanish rice paella recipes and vegetarian risotto recipes, vegetable fried rice, Asian rice salad, and curried rice and lentils. Enjoy!
This vegetarian Spanish rice recipe has been reprinted with permission from The Compassionate Cook Cookbook.