Fresh vegetarian spring rolls are a quick, no-cook meal and are surprisingly easy to make. Spring rolls can be filled with just about anything, but this recipe keeps it simple with your choice of noodles, thinly chopped cabbage, green onions and bean sprouts with just a touch of Asian-inspired flavors - lime juice and soy sauce - to tie it all together.
Fresh herbs are crucial to the finished spring roll, so be sure you have fresh cilantro, mint or basil on hand. I like to use fresh mint because, well, how often do you use fresh mint when cooking? Fresh Thai spring rolls are a great reason to use fresh mint and enjoy a unique and delicious flavor!
One recipe reviewer said these vegan spring rolls remind her of the fresh spring rolls her grandmother from Laos used to make when she was a child, served with a sweet Thai chili dipping sauce.
Need these Thai-inspired fresh spring rolls to be gluten-free as well as vegetarian and vegan? Make sure to use rice wrappers, which are made from nothing but rice and water usually, and omit the soy sauce or substitute tamari.
- Spring roll wrappers (about 12 wrappers)
- 1/2 cup crunchy bean sprouts
- 1/3 head of green cabbage, chopped thinly
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup thin noodles, pre-cooked (use rice noodles, Chinese noodles or bean thread noodles)
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs (use cilantro, basil or mint, your choice - I like a combination of mint and cilantro or mint and basil)
- 1/4 cup carrots, grated or julienned
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated (optional)
- Toss together all ingredients together except wrappers in large bowl.
- Submerge spring roll wrappers in hot water just until pliable, about 15 seconds.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of mix on wrapper and wrap your spring rolls.
- Serve your vegetarian spring rolls with dipping sauce and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts (from Calorie Count):
One spring roll provides approximately:
Calories: 81, Calories from Fat: 5
Total Fat: 0.6g, 1%
Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
Sodium: 192mg, 8%
Total Carbohydrates: 16.1g, 5%
Dietary Fiber: 1.3g, 5%
Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 22%, Calcium 3%, Iron 6%, Based on a 2000 calorie diet
More Spring Roll Recipes: