Looking for a homemade vegan fish substitute? Look no further!
Make fishy-flavored vegetarian "fish sticks" using tofu and seaweed flakes. These easy baked or fried vegan tofu mock-fish sticks are low in fat if you bake them, and will be a hit with the kids. Serve with a vegan tartar sauce, ketchup, or even ranch dressing or barbecue sauce.
See also: Is fish vegetarian?
- 2 blocks tofu (firm or extra firm, pressed)
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. nori seaweed (crumbled)
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
- Slice tofu into strips and coat well with flour.
- In a pie plate or shallow bowl, whisk together the soy milk, soy sauce and lemon juice. In a separate bowl or pie plate, combine bread crumbs, nori and lemon pepper.
- Carefully dip floured tofu in soy milk mixture, then coat well in bread crumbs.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, turning over once, until crispy and golden brown. Or, pan fry on both sides in a bit of oil.
Serve with a vegan tartar sauce.