A tofu scramble with spinach is nutritious and a perfect protein boost for breakfast for vegetarians and vegans. I love spinach, so eating it for breakfast in a classic tofu scramble vegan dish is only natural.
One reviewer suggested adding extra soy sauce into the mix to make this spinach and tofu scramble a bit more flavorful. Or, omit it the soy sauce altogether (or use Bragg's Liquid Aminos or tamari soy sauce) to make it gluten-free as well.
This recipe makes two servings, so it is perfect for breakfast for a couple. You can simply cut the portions in half to make a single serving.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch spinach, rinsed
- 1 pound firm or extra-firm tofu, well pressed and crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sautee the tomatoes, garlic, and mushrooms in olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the spinach, crumbled tofu, soy sauce and lemon juice. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper before serving.
You can serve the scramble along with toast, biscuits, or other breakfast items. But you can also make it into a breakfast wrap to take along or eat on the go.
The scramble warms up well if you want to save a portion for the next day.
Nutritional information per serving from Calorie Count:
- 351 calories; 216 calories from fat.
- Percent of Daily Values:
- Total fat: 24.0 g 37 percent
- Saturated fat: 4.0 g 20 percent
- Cholesterol: 0 mg, 0 percent
- Total Carbohydrates: 17.0 g, 6 percent
- Dietary fiber: 7.6 g, 30 percent
- Protein: 25.6 g
- Vitamin A 339 percent
- Vitamin C 111 percent
- Calcium 64 percent
- Iron 49 percent
More Vegan Tofu Scramble Recipes
Tofu is an easy substitute for eggs when converting a recipe to vegetarian or vegan. Here are more creative ways to enjoy tofu for breakfast or an easy dinner dish.
- Easy and Basic Tofu Scramble Recipe: Use this suggestion for onion and green bell pepper for a classic, or change the vegetables you add.
- Spicy Tofu Scramble Recipe: If you want a little spice to wake you up, here's how to turn up the heat on your tofu scramble.
- Curried Tofu Scramble with Spinach: Use Indian spices for a different twist on the spinach tofu scramble.
- The 10 Absolute Best Tofu Scramble Recipes: Use this quick pick list when you can't quite decide how to enjoy your morning scramble.