This recipe for vegan zucchini bread takes a vegan spin on more classic recipes. It tastes great, plus it freezes well, so you can make a couple of loafs at a time and freeze to have easy breakfasts or snacks readily available.
I love zucchini bread with a sprinkle of sugar and a dollop of margarine, though for a healthier breakfast, you may want to omit those extras. This vegan zucchini bread recipe uses Ener-G Egg Replacer, so make sure you have some on hand before getting started baking (or see cook's notes below for other options).
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 6 whole zucchini)
- Egg replacer for 3 eggs (follow instructions on packaging)
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease two bread pans.
- Stir together the zucchini, egg replacer, oil, sugar, and vanilla. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Pour the batter into the pans and bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
Enjoy your vegan zucchini bread with a cup of coffee or tea or some tasty breakfast juice. Or sip on a non-dairy milk of your choice.
Ener-G Egg Replacer is one option, made of potato and tapioca starch that many vegans say very closely mimics the flavor of real eggs in vegan recipes.
However, there are other binders you can try to replace eggs in this or any other vegan baked goods recipe. This includes:
- Banana: Use half a banana to a full banana in place of one egg.
- Flax seeds: Use one tablespoon of finely ground flax seeds and 3 tablespoons of water to replace one egg.
- Baking soda and vinegar: Use 1 teaspoon of baking soda mixed with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar in place of one egg.
- Silken tofu: Use 1/4 cup of pureed tofu in place of one egg.
Looking for more vegan breakfast recipes? Try these recipes for sweet vegan treats to break out of your breakfast rut:
Han, E. (2015, April 22). 5 Vegan Substitutes for Eggs in Baking - Tips from The Kitchn. Retrieved November 27, 2016, from http://www.thekitchn.com/5-vegan-substitutes-for-eggs-in-baking-tips-from-the-kitchn-136591
Mom's Zucchini Bread Recipe. (2007). Retrieved November 27, 2016, from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/6698/moms-zucchini-bread/