This impossible vegetable pie is similar to a quiche. If you aren't familiar with "impossible pies," they are made with eggs and biscuit baking mix, along with vegetables and, sometimes, meat. The combination of flavors makes for a delicious lunch or brunch pie, and the biscuit mix settles to the bottom, giving it a bit of crust.
This version includes chopped broccoli or cauliflower or a combination of both. Chopped bell pepper and onion add more flavor and color to the dish.
For a heartier pie, add some bacon, diced ham, or browned ground meat to the filling.
- Heat oven to 400 F. Lightly grease pie plate.
- In a saucepan, bring about 1 inch of salted water to a boil (about 1/4 teaspoon salt to each 1 cup water). Cook broccoli and/or cauliflower until tender; drain well.
- Combine broccoli, onion, green pepper, and cheese in the pie plate.
- Put the milk, biscuit mix, eggs, salt, and pepper in the blender; process on high speed for about 15 seconds, or until smooth. Pour mixture into pie plate.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and knife comes out clean.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish as desired. Refrigerate any remaining vegetable pie.