These spicy black bean burgers with cornmeal are made with black beans and salsa for added flavor. The patty is formed by processing beans, cornmeal, salsa, and spices together. Next, just pan fry or grill as you would with a regular burger.
The cornmeal and the whole wheat flour act as binders, so you can avoid those pesky crumbly veggie burgers. Feel free to use another binding method as well. If you've been frustrated with veggie burgers that just fall apart -- it's a common issue for a lot of non-meat eaters -- check out these tips for how to make the perfect veggie burger.
Making Veggie Burgers
Here are some additional tips for making great veggie burgers:
- Don't use raw veggies in the burger. They contain a lot of moisture that, when heated, is released. This can lead to a soggy burger -- a big no-no!
- Avoid the crumble. In this spicy black bean burger recipe, we use cornmeal to keep things together and prevent the patty from breaking into pieces. Depending on your diet, adding eggs to a mixture of ground flax and water, oats, breadcrumbs or wheat germ works too.
- Season the burger. Meat is flavorful and quite simply, beans aren't so much. That's why we include spices like the cumin, salsa and garlic salt. Avoid seasoning them with vinegar, Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce, as those can add too much mushy texture to the burger.
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 c. whole wheat (or all-purpose) flour
- 1/4 c. yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 c. salsa
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 8 Hamburger buns
- Place beans in food processor and process them until they are fairly smooth. Add flour, cornmeal, salsa, cumin and garlic salt. Process until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into six balls on a large plate and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours before cooking.
- Heat barbecue grill or ridged grill pan over medium heat. Coat grill or pan lightly with oil. Form each ball into a 4-inch-wide patty about 1/2-inch thick. Place the patties on the grill or in a pan and then cook until browned and heated through. This should take about 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Serve your black bean cornmeal patties on hamburger buns with your favorite toppings.