Looking for the perfect meatless main dish for Thanksgiving (or even for Christmas or another holiday feast)? You've come to the right place. Check out this collection of simple homemade meal ideas for a vegetarian Thanksgiving menu. Most of these vegetarian recipes are vegan as well. Enjoy!
Also visit our complete guide to vegetarian Thanksgivings here.
01 of 06
Fall Squash and Stuffed Squash Entrees
Stuffed squash is a popular vegetarian and often vegan Thanksgiving main dish idea, and presents quite nicely on the table. Here are a few recipes to get you started:
- Stuffed Acorn Squash with Quinoa and Pecans A savory fall entree suitable for vegan guests (Pictured).
- Acorn Squash with Vegetarian "Sausage" Stuffing With vegetarian sausage and apples, along with traditional stuffing ingredients, this is a great Thanksgiving entree for just about anyone.
- Baked Stuffed Squash with Beans ...This stuffed squash recipe is a balanced meal with healthy beans for protein and fiber (Pictured).
- Stuffed Acorn Squash Stuffed acorn squash is easy to prepare yet makes an elegant entree for a vegetarian Thanksgiving.
- Barley Stuffed Squash Healthy whole grain barley filling a nutritious acorn squash makes a lovely vegetarian Thanksgiving entree.
- Salty Sweet Vegetarian Butternut Squash A quick and easy butternut squash recipe perfect for Thanksgiving.
- Cranberry Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash A vegetarian and vegan entree literally filled with Thanksgiving flavors.
- Butternut Squash Stuffed Ravioli with Fall Rosemary Sauce A non-traditional but interesting idea for a gourmet vegetarian entree. The sauce is made from butter infused with fresh chopped rosemary.
02 of 06
Thanksgiving Vegetarian Loaf and Turkey Substitute Recipes
Tofurky isn't for everyone, but most people actually enjoy vegetarian lentil loaves and nut loaves. Once you get over the awkwardness of the concept of a "vegetarian loaf", they're actually quite tasty and perfect smothered with vegetarian gravy and plated with mashed potatoes and other Thanksgiving vegetable side dishes. Here's a few vegetarian loaf and turkey substitute ideas to try:
- TVP and Tofu Loaf High in protein and flavored with poultry seasoning, this vegetarian loaf... recipe is the perfect entree.
- Lentil Rice Loaf A healthy high-fiber vegetarian loaf recipe makes a great alternative to meatloaf (Pictured).
- Vegetarian "Meat" Loaf with "Beef" Substitute A mock meatloaf made with store-bought GimmeLean ground beef substitute. Serve it up with mashed potatoes and gravy for the holidays.
- Nature's Burger Vegetarian "Meat" Loaf If you're looking for a vegetarian loaf recipe for Thanksgiving, then this is a quick and easy one to try.
- 8 Vegetarian Turkey Substitutes for Thanksgiving Tofurky isn't the only player in town anymore! There's stuffed vegetarian turkey, turkey rolls and even a fake turkey shaped into a turkey. Drumsticks and all!
- 12 Tofurky Recipes If tofurky is your thing, here's 12 suggested ways of preparing it. Like deep-fried turkey? Why not try a deep-fried tofurky?
- Even more vegetarian loaf recipes Don't fear the loaf! My non-vegetarian friends quite like them, especially with mashed potatoes and gravy. Here are a few good ones to try, including nut loaves, lentil loaves and some with cheese.
03 of 06
Just about anything pumpkin would be a suitable vegetarian Thanksgiving entree. You can stuff a pumpkin with your favorite rice pilaf or quinoa pilaf recipe, or try one of these fall-themed pumpkin recipes below:
- Pumpkin Risotto Italian risotto with a Thanksgiving twist - pumpkin!
- Pumpkin and Sage Pasta Savory and aromatic, this pumpkin and sage pasta would make a unique vegetarian and vegan Thanksgiving main dish.
- Gourmet Pumpkin Pizza For a fun, casual Thanksgiving, try this gourmet pumpkin... pizza with roast pumpkin and three cheeses (Pictured).
- Pumpkin Dumplings Not exactly traditional, but a great entree or side dish for Thanksgiving.
- Vegetarian Thai Pumpkin Curry A nutritious and different vegetarian and vegan Thanksgiving menu idea: Thai pumpkin curry with sweet potatoes and chilies.
04 of 06
Rice pilaf, wild rice, and fall-themed quinoa dishes
For something simple and familiar as a vegetarian Thanksgiving entree idea, a rice pilaf, or a fall themed quinoa pilaf, is easy to prepare and most people tend to like them. Keep things fall-themed by adding in roasted pumpkins, pumpkin seeds, cranberries or some savory Thanksgiving spices. Here are a few recipe ideas to browse:
Continue to 5 of 6 below.
- Vegetarian Wild Rice and Mushroom Pilaf The flavors of fall combine with wild rice for this entree or side dish.
- Cranberry Orange Rice Pilaf Add an extra Thanksgiving... touch by tossing in some diced mock turkey deli slices (Pictured).
- Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad Add some cranberries to this nutritious and healthy quinoa pilaf for more Thanksgiving flavor.
- Barley with Wild Rice and Cranberries A slightly sweet cranberry and wild rice pilaf for a colorful Thanksgiving dish.
- Gluten-free Mushroom and Brown Rice Pilaf A healthy gluten-free and vegetarian Thanksgiving menu idea.
05 of 06
Even more vegetarian and vegan Thanksgiving entree ideas.
Willing to get a little more creative? Here are a few more miscellaneous vegetarian and vegan main dish ideas for your Thanksgiving table:
- Homemade Tofu "Turkey" It's not Tofurky, but it is a turkey-flavored vegetarian substitute, made from tofu.
- Vegetarian "Chicken" Pot Pie Follow the recipe as is, or try it with Tofurky instead. Either way, a hearty fall entree idea.
- Sweet Potato and Pecan Risotto This flavorful vegetarian risotto could be served as a main dish or side dish... on Thanksgiving.
06 of 06