This high-fiber and high-protein vegetarian tortilla soup recipe is made with black beans and corn and spiced with cumin.
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 32-ounce can vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 8 corn tortillas cut in half then into 1/4-inch wide strips
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Mexican blend cheese (optional)
- 1 avocado, diced (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1/3 cup sour cream (optional)
- In a large soup or stock pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, frequently stirring, until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cumin and cook for another minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomato sauce, beans, corn, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- To thicken your black bean soup, whisk together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Bring the soup back up to a boil, stir in the cornstarch and water mixture, then heat, frequently stirring, until soup thickens, about two minutes.
- While your black bean soup is cooking on the stove, prepare the corn chips. Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
- Place the corn tortilla strips in a large bowl and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil until well coated.
- Place the tortilla strips on a baking sheet and cook until golden and crispy, about 10 minutes, stirring halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- Serve your vegetarian tortilla soup in individual bowls topped with baked tortilla chips and optional cheese, sour cream, cilantro, and avocado.
- Top it off with cheese and sour cream, or omit the two to make it dairy-free, lower in fat, and vegan. Or, use a low-fat cheese and a reduced-fat sour cream.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories from Fat: 147
Percent Daily Value:
Total Fat 16g, 25%
Saturated Fat 3g 13%
Sodium 609mg, 24%
Carbohydrates 41g, 13%
Dietary Fiber 9g, 37%
Protein 15g, 30%
Sugars 7g, 0%
Vitamin C 14mg, 24%
Calcium 245mg, 31%
Iron 2mg, 17%
Thiamin 0mg, 17%
Niacin Equivalents 3mg, 24%
Vitamin B6 0mg, 22%
Magnesium 58mg, 21%
Folate 57mcg, 32%
Vitamin A - IU 572IU, 11%
Cholesterol 18mg 6%