This vegetarian chili recipe is made with healthy barley as well as beans. It is super easy to prepare, too. All you have to do is dump everything into your Crock-Pot or slow cooker, and a few hours later you'll have a delicious and nutritious high-protein vegetarian chili.
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 3/4 cup pearled barley
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a Crock-Pot or slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on medium-low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Add more salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve with fresh, crusty bread or over brown rice.
- Cooking with a slow cooker can be really easy and convenient, but it's important to follow certain safety precautions. For starters, always begin with a clean space and make sure your counter is free of any debris. Pay attention to the temperature on your slow cooker: If you're home and able, start on high for the first hour, then switch to low for the rest of the cooking time, especially if you're cooking with perishable food items that could collect bacteria. Make sure the slow cooker is filled no more than two-thirds of the way, and avoid the temptation to open the lid (which releases heat) until you're done!
- Not only is this chili a delicious vegan alternative to meaty chili, but it's filled with barley, which has loads of health benefits. Research shows that eating barley can help with blood sugar control and that it lowers glucose levels, among other benefits. In addition, it's slow to digest, which could aid in weight control.
Like vegan Crock-Pot chili? You may also like these other easy vegetarian slow cooker recipes:
Han, E. (2009, September 29). What’s the difference? Hulled vs. Pearl barley. The Kitchn, http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-hulled-vs-97116
Health Benefits of Barley. Oldways Whole Grains Council, http://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/whole-grains-101-orphan-pages-found/health-benefits-barley
Marcason, W. (2016, February 5). 10 food safety tips for the slow cooker. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, http://www.eatright.org/resource/homefoodsafety/four-steps/cook/10-food-safety-tips-for-the-slow-cooker