A healthy a delicious recipe for curried corn soup topped with cheddar cheese and filled with flavorful shallots and spices. To make it vegan and lower in fat, simply omit the cheddar cheese, or use a dairy-free vegan cheese substitute.
This curried corn and cheddar soup recipe is made with bell peppers, shallots, fresh or frozen corn, curry powder, and a bit of soy milk and cheddar cheese, and comes from the Soy Foods Council.
Be sure to use a gluten-free or homemade vegetable broth, and this corn and cheese soup will be gluten-free too.
Like this curried corn soup recipe? Scroll down for more vegetarian and vegan corn soup recipes to try.
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 2 tsp. curry powder, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 cups fresh corn or one 16-ounce bag frozen corn, thawed (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 3 cups plain soymilk (or another non-dairy milk subsitute), divided
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the shallots during the last minute; stir until tender but not browned. Add the curry powder and salt; stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in the corn, vegetable stock, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium; cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer 2 cups of the corn mixture to a blender or food processor. Add 1 cup of the soymilk. Process until the mixture is nearly smooth.
- Pour the puréed mixture into the saucepan; stir in the remaining soymilk. Stir gently over medium heat until the mixture is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese.
CALORIES 326 (47% from fat); Fat 17g (sat 3.9g, mono 5g, poly 7g); Protein 14.9g; Carbohydrate 35.7g; Fiber 6g; Cholesterol 16mg; Iron 1.4mg; Sodium 594mg; Calcium 60mg