This vegetarian and vegan quinoa salad recipe is surprisingly tasty and healthy! Whole grain quinoa cooks quicker than most other grains and is an excellent source of protein with about 11 grams of protein per cup of cooked quinoa. Perfect for vegetarian and vegans! Though the recipe calls for cucumber, bell peppers, broccoli, and tomatoes, feel free to experiment by adding different veggies such as zucchini, corn or even kale or spinach greens; there's really no wrong way to make a healthy quinoa salad!
Recipe testers have always given this vegan quinoa salad recipe five out of five stars, so you can be sure you'll likely love it just as much as others have. And, this is also a low-calorie vegetarian recipe, with just 270 calories per serving (though of course you always need to watch those portion sizes if you are watching your caloric intake!). As well as vegetarian, this easy quinoa salad recipe is vegan and gluten-free (just make sure you use a gluten-free vegetable broth).
What's not to love?
Like cooking with quinoa? I know I do! If you like quinoa, you might want to branch out and try some other whole grains, too, such as kaniwa, millet and teff! Whole grains such as these are versatile, and, if you buy them in bulk, they're a bargain! And of course, I love shopping in bulk! If you like quinoa already, here are some more healthy whole grains which you've got to try.
Need to know more about quinoa? Check out everything you need to know about quinoa here.
- 4 cups vegetable broth (you can also use water instead)
- 1 1/2 cups raw whole grain
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup lightly steamed broccoli florets
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- First, cook the quinoa in vegetable broth (or water, if you prefer) until it fluffs up, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the quinoa is cooking, whisk together the fresh lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic cloves and salt and pepper.
- When the quinoa is finished cooking, allow to cool slightly, then, toss the quinoa with the vegetables and the lemon juice dressing mix, stirring to combine well. Add more salt and pepper to taste, and chill before serving if you have the time.
- Got leftover quinoa? Here are a few ideas for using up any leftover quinoa you have on hand.
Nutritional information, per serving:
Calories Per Serving: 270, Total Fat: 10.5g, 16% RDA, Saturated Fat: 1.5g, 8% RDA
Cholesterol: 0mg, 0% RDA
Sodium: 518mg, 22% RDA
Total Carbohydrates: 34.5g, 11% RDA
Dietary Fiber: 4.4g, 18% RDA
Vitamin A 21%, Vitamin C 75%, Calcium 5%, Iron 15%