This Thai inspired recipe for a basic vegetarian (and vegan!) red curry sauce with vegetables will go best served over steamed white rice, though you could always eat it plain as a curry soup dish. I'm personally not a big fan of green curry, though I suppose you could try a green curry paste instead of red in this recipe, if you'd like. I'd probably omit the fresh cilantro, in that case.
Though the recipe calls for tofu, carrots, peas and baby corn (my personal favorite!) you can use just about any vegetable you have on hand, and adjust the cooking time accordingly if needed. A note about store-bought red curry pastes: be sure to read the ingredients to make sure it is vegetarian (a few brands will contain some sort of fish). I usually use Thai Kitchen brand red curry paste, which is easy to find, vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free.
This Thai red curry recipe is vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free.
See also: 8 Vegan Curries from around the world
- 3 tbsp. fresh basil (coarsely chopped)
- 1 tbsp. red curry paste (make sure it's vegetarian)
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 carrot (sliced thin)
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup baby corn (chopped)
- 1 block tofu (firm or extra firm, well pressed)
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 lime (juiced)
- Like most vegan tofu recipes, this one will taste best if you press the tofu first. Not sure how to do that? See this easy step-by-step guide: How to press tofu.
- After your tofu is well-pressed, chop it into about 3/4-inch (bite-sized) chunks.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the basil, vegetarian red curry paste and coconut over medium high heat, stirring well to mix curry paste.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the sliced carrot, green peas, baby corn and pressed and chopped tofu. Bring the mixture to a slow simmer.
- Cover the pot and allow your curry to cook for about 10-12 minutes, or until the veggies are tender, but not overcooked.
- Serve your vegan Thai red curry over rice if desired. Or, pair it with a healthier whole grain, such as quinoa or kaniwa for the extra protein boost.
If you like this red Thai curry, here's more vegetarian curries you might enjoy.
Loving this vegetarian and vegan tofu recipe? Here's some more incredible things you can do with tofu: