This recipe for tasty venison meatballs is cooked in a slow cooker with tomato sauce with green pepper and onions and basil. Serve these saucy venison meatballs over spaghetti or pasta.
- 3 pounds ground venison
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 (6 ounce)
- cans tomato paste, divided
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 large green bell peppers, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, dried, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked oatmeal or fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 (15 ounces each) cans tomato sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- Mix venison with the egg, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, half of the chopped onion, half of the chopped green pepper, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, and the uncooked oatmeal.
- Moisten with a little tomato sauce if the mixture is dry. Mix well, form into meat balls. In a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat, add the 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Cook meatballs in batches until browned on all sides; transfer to a baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees F. Cool then refrigerate until an hour before serving. Note: The meatballs can be made the night before serving.
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine remaining tomato sauce and paste, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon basil, remaining chopped onion, remaining chopped green peppers, and minced garlic.
- Cook for 5 to 6 hours on low setting. Check a few times and add a little water, if necessary. Add bay leaf and meatballs one hour before serving time. Remove the bay leaf, taste and adjust seasonings, and serve hot over pasta.
More Venison and Game Recipes
Venison Roast Recipe
Crockpot Venison Stew Crockpot Venison Stew II Crockpot Venison Burgundy Baked Rabbit in Sour Cream
Venison Recipes Index
Crockpot Venison Recipes
Beef Recipes Index
Ground Beef Recipes Index
Pot Roast Recipes