The Bottom Line
This grill has been discontinued. It is replaced by the Vermont Castings VCS4007.
This is a solidly built grill with heavy cast iron and stainless steel body parts. The 48,000 BTU output from four stainless steel burners is more than enough to heat the 450 square inches of primary grilling area. This unit also comes with a 15,000 BTU side burner. The attractive design and heavy components make this a pretty good grill.
The biggest detraction from this grill is the use of lower quality stainless steel and weaker components can cause it to lose its appearance over time.
- High-temperature output with 48,000 BTUs on a 450 square inch surface
- Solid construction of cast iron and stainless steel
- Highly durable components
- Lid can be heavy due to the cast iron end caps
- Rotisserie kit not included
- Low-quality stainless steel (400 series)
- Single layer hood
- Four 12,000 BTU stainless steel burners
- 48,000 BTUs from the main burners
- 450 square inches of primary cooking area with a total area of 605 square inches
- Mixed cast iron and stainless steel body
- Porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates
- All cast iron parts enamel coated for durability
- Enclosed storage space in cart with stainless steel door
- Independent electronic igniters
- Available only through Home Depot Stores
- Propane tank not included
Guide Review - Vermont Castings 48,000 BTU Model VM450SSP
The Castings in Vermont Castings originates from their days of making cast iron fireplace inserts and stoves, which they still make. Vermont Castings didn't go the way of cheap sheet metal or cast aluminum body parts. These grills are made with mostly cast iron. It has a stainless steel hood with cast iron end caps making for both an attractive grill and a solid piece of equipment.
Now I know what you're thinking. Cast iron rusts. Vermont Castings knows how to treat cast iron, and all cast iron components are either porcelain coated or covered in a heavy coating of thermal resistant enamel paint.
The heating properties of this grill are very good. The 48,000 BTU rating of its four main burners is more than enough to heat the 450 square inches of primary grilling space. The heavy cast iron components act to hold heat, giving this grill very even heat and great indirect cooking abilities.
This unit also comes with a powerful 15,000 BTU side burner which is enclosed under a flush mounted stainless steel cover. This grill is also supported by a good warranty.
The biggest problem with this grill is the use of lower quality 400 series stainless steel. This will limit the durability and appearance of the grill over time. This is a lower quality version of the Vermont Castings Experience VCS4006.