This vegetarian (and vegan!) crock pot vegetable chili recipe doesn't skimp on the veggies or the flavor. It's made with onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin for flavor, plenty of beans, and, it's filled up with healthy vegetables: bell pepper, carrots, corn, tomatoes, and zucchini. Running low on some of those veggies? Feel free to omit one or two of the vegetables and add a few more of another kind to make it up - you'll still end up with a fantastically healthy and delicious vegan vegetable chili.
The great thing about using your slow cooker to make chili (or just about anything) is how easy it is. Just chop your veggies up, dump them in, and you're good to go! Just place all the ingredients in your crock pot or slow cooker, and come home to a healthy and complete vegetarian meal with a good amount of your five-a-day servings of vegetables (and not a lot of fat and calories, as this chili is very low in both)!
Why not make a double-batch and get creative with your leftover chili! Need a weekday lunch idea? You may want to freeze leftover chili in individually portioned containers to bring with you into the office for a healthy home-cooked (and cheap!) lunch on weekdays.
This vegetable chili recipe is vegetarian, vegan, and all of the ingredients are gluten-free as well (though you may want to double-check the labels on your spices just to be sure).
Like making homemade vegetarian chili? Check out these more easy homemade vegetable chili recipes to try.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated or sliced thin
- 1 1/2 cup corn
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Dash tabasco sauce (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients in a crock pot or slow cooker and give them a quick stir.
- Cover and cook on your crock pot's low setting for about 6 to 8 hours.
- Taste, and then adjust the seasonings to taste. You may want to add a bit of salt and pepper, depending on your personal preference and taste buds. I highly recommend always using sea salt or kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper for the best taste.
- This crock pot vegetable chili recipe makes about 5-6 servings as a main dish.
- You can always serve topped with a bit of cheese or your favorite non-dairy vegan cheese substitute. Many vegans like to top vegetarian chili off with nutritional yeast.
Got leftovers? See also: What to do with leftover chili
Nutritional information, per serving, based on 5 servings:
Calories: 264, Calories from Fat: 21
% Daily Value:
Total Fat: 2.3g, 4%; Trans Fat: 0.0g
Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
Sodium: 356mg, 15%
Total Carbohydrates: 51.8g, 17%
Dietary Fiber: 13.7g, 55%
Vitamins and minerals:
Vitamin A 143%, Vitamin C 114%, Calcium 12%, Iron 26%