The Bottom Line
The Vidalia grill is truly unique among gas grills. This Gas Grill is designed like a convection oven and allows you to grill directly over a high, intense heat (searing) and grill indirectly so this unit can smoke, broil, bake, roast, and much more. This Vidalia has two 40,000 BTU stainless steel (304) burners. The grill is designed to draw air from the left side, through the burners, and over the indirect cooking space.
- Solid Construction
- Very large cooking area
- Versatile cooking abilities
- Attractive polished aluminum construction
- High temperature searing ability
- Limited distribution makes it a little hard to find (contact maker)
- Two 40,000 BTU 304 Stainless Steel Burners
- 492 square inches of direct grilling space and 492 square inches of indirect grilling space
- 80,000 BTUs of total output under a total cooking area of 984 square inches
- Electronic igniter
- Stainless Steel and Aluminum construction
- Capable of using charcoal or hardwood for heat
- Stainless Steel drip tray for easy cleaning
- Unique cooking system allows for baking, broiling, and smoking
- Indirect cooking method allows you to cooking whole chickens of roasts without a rotisserie
- Large cooking area allows you to directly grill a lot of steaks of indirectly cook several chickens
Guide Review - Vidalia Model 983
After years of legal battles over patents, Vidalia Grills has gone out of business.
The Vidalia 440 is the largest of the Vidalia line. This grill gives you 492 square inches of direct grilling space, but has the same amount of area for indirect grilling. Because of the unique airflow, this grill can produce high or low indirect cooking that allows you to roast a whole chicken or slow cook a pork roast (i.e. Boston Butt).
This makes the Vidalia one of the only gas powered grills that can effectively smoke. The Vidalia can also use charcoal or hardwood as its heat source. Charcoal or hardwood is layered over the burner so you can use the gas burner to light your fuel. Air flow is drawn in on the side of the grill by the burner (or burning coals), circulated through the indirect portion and out through the other side of the unit. The indirect area has a large drip pan that can be used for steaming, frying or making gumbo (they always make gumbo at the demonstrations).
The Vidalia is primarily constructed of polished aluminum (not cast aluminum). This gives is a nice shiny appearance without the high cost of stainless steel. The working components are made from 304 stainless steel and are very durable. The 983 retails around $4,000 which is a good price for a unit with this size and cooking abilities. If you really want a versatile outdoor cooking unit you really should look at the Vidalia. This really is the only gas grill that can do real barbecue.
This grill is not produced for mass market merchants. If you want to buy this grill you should contact the manufacturer to find a dealer or ship the unit to you.
If you have a chance to see one in action you really should take a look.