In the state of Virginia there are very specific guidelines used to determine child support. Parents who want to estimate either how much child support they owe, or how much child support they will receive, should use Virginia’s interactive child support calculator, which is provided by the state.
Tips for Using the Virginia Child Support Calculator
- Only use the Virginia child support calculator provided by the state’s Department of Social Services website.
- Third-party child support calculators may not provide users with a reliable, accurate child support estimate.
- Be aware that the Virginia child support calculator is designed to provide an estimate only.
- In order to use the calculator, you will need to know the total income of both parents, including wages, tips, bonuses, self-employment earnings, investment income, and all other sources of income.
- You will also need to know about certain expenses for each parent, including income-related child care expenses and health insurance premiums.
Tips for Parents Requesting Child Support in Virginia
- File for child support at your local Child Support District Office.
- You can print an application for child support services right from the Department of Social Support Services web site.
- When filing for child support, provide a much detailed, accurate information as you can.
- Parents receiving child support in Virginia can sign up online to receive payments electronically.
Tips for Parents Who Owe Child Support in Virginia
- You can make child support payments online through the Virginia$4Kids web site.
- If you have difficulty paying child support, consider requesting a child support modification.