Cold days call for hot drinks and nothing will warm you up faster than a spiked cup of coffee, cocoa, or tea. From the famous Irish Coffee to the many ways to make a Hot Toddy, there is sure to be a comfy cocktail that's right for you.
A Quick Tip for Hot Drinks
Before we get to the drinks, let's discuss the mug. That steaming hot drink is great, but it can become a lukewarm mess before your finish and you can keep your hot cocktails warm longer by pre-heating the glass.
It's very easy, takes just a minute, and there are a few ways to go about it.
- Heat water in a teapot and pour it into the glass while you prepare the drink.
- Warm a water-filled glass in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
- Simply run hot water over the mugs (do this as a last resort).
Matching drink and glass temperature are one of those easy steps that will improve your cocktails and it is a good habit to get into.
The Must-Have Hot Cocktails
Hot glasses, check! Next up, let's take a look at the hottest of the hot cocktails, those alcoholic drinks that have been pleasing palates for decades or more. If you have not tried each of these warm, delicious beverages, then you are missing out on a drinker's paradise.
Before you move on, cross these off your bucket list as they are a foundation for almost every other hot cocktail you will come across.
- Hot Buttered Rum - It's all about the butter batter and it's something you can keep in the fridge for a quick Hot Buttered Rum whenever you like.
- Hot Peppermint Patty - An iconic in the hot chocolate world, this favorite recipe goes beyond spiking your cocoa with peppermint schnapps.
- Hot Toddy - Tea or no tea; brandy, whiskey, or rum; honey or sugar: there are so many options when it comes to the famous Toddy.
- Milk & Honey - The ultimate nightcap is a warmed glass of milk with a shot of Benedictine.
- Tom and Jerry - A holiday favorite, this hot milk punch is an old-fashioned delight.
Rich, Spiked Coffee Cocktails
Topping the list of hot coffee cocktails is the iconic Irish Coffee and it is more than a shot of Irish whiskey in your coffee mug. There's an art to it and it's a fantastic foundation for more coffee cocktails.
Whatever you add to it, you cannot have a spectacular coffee cocktail without great coffee. The best hot coffee drinks are made with quality coffee beans that are brewed to create a thick and rich cup. Do yourself a favor and skip the drip machine and opt for a French press or Aeropress instead. They're low-tech solutions that will instantly improve your coffee game.
- Café Brasileiro - A fine cachaca and chocolate liqueur combine for the most interesting coffee you've had yet.
- Caramel Irish Coffee - An indulgent take on the classic, this one adds a little butterscotch to the mix.
- Dorda Cafe - Even espresso can handle a spirit or two and in this case, it's a rich chocolate liqueur and a hint of amaretto.
- French Connection Coffee - Amaretto again! It really is fantastic with coffee and this popular recipe pairs it with your favorite cognac.
- Kentucky Coffee - Bourbon, American Honey Liqueur, and coffee, it's a terrific, all-American drink. It's even better if you don't skip the whipped cream.
Yummy, Spiked Hot Chocolate Cocktails
Spiked hot chocolate recipes are always a favorite for the cold months of the year. They are delicious, soothing, and maybe just a little too good. Yet, if you're going to indulge in a chocolate cocktail, you might as well do it in style.
It's important to note that there is a difference between hot chocolate and hot cocoa. Hot chocolate is made with melted chocolate and hot cocoa is made from a powder (it's the 'Just add water' variety). Any of these recipes can be made with either though if you have a few minutes to spare, try them with hot chocolate. It's fabulously rich and hard to beat.
- Chocolate Kiss - Here we 'kiss' a cup of steaming mint-chocolate and a touch of coffee liqueur.
- Hennessy Hot Coco - A great cognac, a spiced syrup, and little vanilla are a great way to improve your cocoa.
- Midnight Snowstorm - Double the mint and double the fun! It's easy and very tempting to resist a second mug.
- Ski Lift - For a fun twist, add a shot of peach schnapps then one of coconut rum.
Soothing Hot Tea Cocktails
Hot tea mixed drinks are a lighter way to enjoy a warm drink on a cold day. There are many types of tea available to use and quite often a recipe will include recommendations. Feel free to experiment with your favorite teas.
- Autumn Chai Swizzle - Can a great tea cocktail be as simple as adding Bailey's to your masala chai? Yes, it can!
- Blueberry Tea - A little amaretto and Grand Marnier are the ideal way to spike your pekoe tea.
- English Christmas Punch - Hot tea meets Sangria in this fantastic holiday punch that everyone will love.
Hot Apple Cider in Your Cocktails
Hot apple cider is comforting on its own, but it is even better when it's spiked and spiced. These recipes are easy to mix up for a crowd, especially if you fill your slow cooker with the steaming brew. It also makes your home smell divine!
- Hot Apple Pie - The easiest way to spike cider is to add an herbal liqueur and the vanilla-citrus notes of Tuaca are one of the best options.
- Hot Apple Toddy - Start toddy season as soon as autumn hits with this hot cider recipe. Whiskey or apple brandy, which will you choose?
- Hot Gold Apple Cider - This is the ultimate hot cider recipe and it's one everyone loves. Cinnamon schnapps, dark rum, and a slew of warm spices complete the simple mix.
Really Fun Warm Cocktails
It's time to get a little wild and brek a few rules. These hot cocktails are modern takes on old favorites and they are filled with rich, soothing flavors. It's all about reimagining and reinventing the drinks we've enjoyed for years and you will not want to pass these by.
- Cranberry Peanut Buttered Hot Rum - Skip the butter batter and make peanut butter syrup instead! Then mix it with a fantastic rum and fresh cranberries and a truly unique drink is born.
- Mulled Pomegranate Warmer - Mulled wine is fantastic, but it's been done a million times. Add a bit of pomegranate to the mix and share this delightful remake with family and friends.
- Warm Old-fashioned - It's as if a Hot Toddy and an Old-fashioned had a baby and he is a darling of a drink.
- Winter Warmer Mulled Sangria - Cranberry and pomegranate, red wine and mulling spices, it all sounds normal. That is until we toss a little Jagermeister and PAMA into the mix!