Wassail Drink Mix is a simple combination of ingredients you can add to hot cider to make a delicious and warming drink for the holidays. Keep this mix on hand to add to cider, apple juice, or pear nectar. Heat up the beverage, and add this spice mix to taste.
This mix also makes a great holiday gift. Put it in a pretty little jar, label with the mix name and the date it was made, and wrap it with a pretty ribbon. Write the directions for using the mix on the label. Give all on its own, or make a gift basket with some nice mugs, a tea strainer, pretty spoons, and other drink and beverage mixes such as white hot chocolate mix.
You can change this recipe any way you'd like. use brown sugar instead of white, or change the spices. Use freshly ground spices instead of those you buy preground.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon dried orange peel
- Combine the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and dried orange peel and mix well. Store the mix in a small airtight glass or plastic container.
- To use, stir a spoonful into a cup of hot apple juice or apple cider. You could also stir it into cranberry juice cocktail, tea, or red wine.
You can increase the ingredients, keeping the same proportions, to package and gift as gifts. And add other spices if you'd like, including ground ginger and cardamom.
Experiment until you find a combination you like best.