Here is a delightfully refreshing salad that combines watermelon with fresh mozzarella. Basil adds an herby spiciness, while sweet balsamic syrup brings out the best flavors of both the watermelon and the mozzarella.
Very simple to put together with a minute's notice, this makes a great starter salad or as a refreshing party appetizer.
- 4 cups watermelon cubes (about 1-inch), seeds removed
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella balls
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 2 cups good balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- In a small pot, bring the balsamic vinegar to a boil. Continue to boil until it has reduced to about 1/2 cup and has a syrup like consistency. Set aside and allow to completely cool. If you have time, you can make the balsamic syrup ahead of time and refrigerate it for later.
- In a large bowl, gently toss together the watermelon, basil, and mozzarella. If you are using the larger size mozzarella balls, first cut them into bite-size pieces.
- Put servings of the salad onto chilled plates. Drizzle with the balsamic syrup.
- Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on top of each salad.