Chopped watermelon rinds are sweetened and cooked with spices, raisins, and pecans. It's an easy, . thickened pie filling made with flavorful watermelon rinds.
This is a double crust pie. Use this all-butter pie crust or use convenient ready-made refrigerated pie pastry sheets.
- Place watermelon rind in a small saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; drain.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine watermelon rind with sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt, vinegar, raisins, and pecans; stir to combine then set aside.
- Fit 1 pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate. Pour watermelon rind mixture into the pie crust. Top with remaining pie crust; fold edges under, and crimp all around the edge. Cut small slits in top crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden, shielding edges of pie with strips of aluminum foil after 25 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Cool the watermelon pie on a wire rack.
You Might Also Like: