Slash fat and calories by using low-fat yogurt in place of sour cream, cream, and mayonnaise in savory dishes. Use it in and on desserts, and in all kinds of other recipes, too. Fat-free yogurt can also be used in many recipes, especially nonfat Greek yogurt, which is naturally thick and creamy, and holds up well in cooked dishes.
Here are 10 ways you can put low fat or nonfat yogurt to good use.
- A tangy marinade for chicken. Add a squeeze of lemon juice to one cup of low-fat plain yogurt, plus 1 tsp minced garlic and a tablespoon of curry powder.
- A great dip with cucumber, garlic and herbs.
- In a delicious low-fat smoothie with your favorite fruit and crushed ice.
- As part of a tangy salad dressing for chicken, tuna or potatoes.
- A low-fat parfait with berries and whole-grain cereal or granola.
- Topping for baked potatoes instead of sour cream.
- In place of butter and oil in muffins and quick breads. Be sure to add a 1/2 tsp of baking soda per cup of yogurt.
- In chilled soups for a creamy texture.
- In stews, chilis, stroganoffs. Add at the end of cooking, but with a gentle heat to avoid curdling. You can also stabilize the yogurt by stirring in a tsp of cornstarch before heating.
- Yogurt cheese. A great alternative to cream cheese. Drain the yogurt over a bowl for two hours in the refrigerator in a sieve lined with cheesecloth or layers of paper towels. The end result is a thick and tangy spread that works well on whole-wheat toast and bagels.
Recipes Using Low Fat or Nonfat Yogurt
- Chicken Caesar Salad
- Strawberry Yogurt Popsicles
- Banana Berry Smoothie
- Banana Mango Smoothie
- Lemon Zucchini Bread