The Bottom Line
The premium version of the Genesis E-320 has been discontinued.
Simply put the Weber Genesis line of grills are the best you can buy in this price range and beyond. The list price is $949USD but you can typically find it for around $800USD. What you get with the EP-320 is a three burner grill (available in five colors) with side burner. What makes this the Premium edition is the stainless steel cooking grates instead of porcelain coated cast iron and stainless steel vaporization bars.
- Efficient heat design
- Solid construction of durable parts
- Weber Support
- Three burner grill with side burner
- Low grades of stainless steel throughout
- Stainless steel cooking grates are not better than the porcelain coated cast iron ones
- Slower preheat times
- Three 12,666 BTU stainless steel tubular burners
- 507 square inches of primary grilling space for a total cooking area of 637 square inches
- 38,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 12,000 BTU standard side burner under a flush mounted cover
- Push button electric (AA-battery) ignition
- Stainless steel rod cooking grates
- Constructed of cast aluminum, enameled steel and stainless steel (400 series stainless steel)
- Dual layer hood with double vaporization system for heat retention
- Enclosed cabinet with internal propane tank storage and propane fuel gauge
- Made in the USA by the Weber-Stephen Products Company
Guide Review - Weber Genesis EP-320 Premium Edition
For 2011 Weber has redesigned their popular line of Genesis grills. The burners, which used to run parallel to the front of the grill, with controls on the right side table, are now run perpendicular to the front of the grill with the controls in the front. Now, after 25 years, the Weber Genesis grill is much more like all the other grills on the market, at least as far as the burner design goes.
Being Weber, this wasn't a rash decision and after three years of development, the new Genesis grill is a more efficient grill. I won't go into all the details here, but what I can say is that this grill really hasn't changed the way the grill cooks.
Of course, if you are reading this you are not interested in what the Genesis used to be, but what it is now. Put simply this grill is one of the most efficient standard gas grills on the market as well as one of the best built. For the price, there really isn't a better grill on the market, and while this is a basic, no frills gas grill it does what you want, it grills hot and fast, while giving you the ability to do low, indirect grilling.
To really understand the Genesis grill you need to look inside the firebox. The three burners put out only 38,000 BTUs under 507 square inches of cooking space or about 75 BTUs per square inch. While this is low when compared to other gas grills, the efficient design holds in heat, unfortunately being underpowered means it takes longer to heat up. Yes, you will get to high temperatures and this grill will do an excellent job, you just have to turn it on earlier.
What really makes the Weber Genesis EP-320 stand out is its quality.
The attention to detail that takes 3 years to change the burner design can be seen in every part of this grill. This means that everything on this grill works (they actually fire up every grill before it is packaged), and since there is a 10-year warranty on virtually everything in this grill you can rely on it to last for at least a decade and I would believe longer.
This is a basic 3-burner gas grill with 12,000 BTU side burner and all the standard Weber features. The difference between the EP-320 and the Genesis E-320 is that the porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates have been replaced with stainless steel rod grates and the porcelain coated steel vaporization bars are now stainless steel.