The Bottom Line
Consider this the 14 1/2-inch version of the iconic Weber Kettle charcoal grill. Yes, this is small, lightweight (and maybe a little flimsy), and around $40USD, but it does things other little portable charcoal grills don't. This portable grill actually has temperature control and works very much like a full sized Weber. The Smokey Joe is perfect for the small balcony, the college student, or a trip to the beach or park.
Take good care of it and it will last you for years.
- Excellent, authentic grilling abilities in a small portable
- Very lightweight
- Bottom vent can clog limiting airflow
- Legs are thin and prone to bending
- 147 square inches of cooking space on a nickel plated steel cooking grate
- 9.5-pound total weight
- Porcelain-coated steel construction
- Three-leg design with ash catcher under the bottom vent
- Top vent allows a wide range of temperature control
- Grill closes down to put the fire out so you can save charcoal
- Made in the United States
Guide Review - Weber Smokey Joe 14 Charcoal Grill
The Weber Smokey Joe is built just like Weber's full sized charcoal grills that have been the bar by which all other charcoal grills are measured. This little, portable grill has a 14 1/2-inch diameter cooking surface that gives it 147 square inches of grilling space. The body is porcelain coated steel and temperature is regulated by top and bottom vents.
Unlike many other portable charcoal grills, this one offers you temperature control and the ability to snuff out the fire by simply closing the vents.
This portable charcoal grill has been a mainstay for decades and is one of the most popular and widely available little grills on the market. The reason is that this is a very good grill.
It does have a few limitations, however. Being small and lightweight it can be knocked over easily so you need to keep it away from foot traffic. Because of the small cooking chamber, the bottom vent can get clogged by ashes and food particles so it does need to be cleaned out regularly. It is also a little awkward to transport. Despite this, because of the superior airflow I recommend this version over the Weber Smokey Joe 14 Premium.