The Bottom Line
For many years, the Summit line of stainless steel grills from Weber has been some of the best gas grills on the market. In 2008, Weber has expanded this line to include this unit that relies on much less stainless steel. This black (or copper) 4-burner gas grill has all the quality and features of the similar stainless steel model. Of course at around $1,500 this isn't a cheap grill, but the quality construction means you can keep it running for many years.
This grill features a good quality 12,000 BTU side burner. The burners produce great heat and this is one grill that can really cook.
- Even, high heat from 4 stainless steel burners
- Quality construction of cast aluminum, stainless steel, and porcelain coated steel
- Strong Warranty and support from Weber
- Attractive Design
- Brushed stainless steel finish won't show marks as easily
- Handle light is more gimmick than useful
- Four 12,200 BTU stainless steel tubular burners
- 538 square inches of primary grilling space for a total cooking area of 650 square inches
- 48,800 BTU output from the main burners
- 12,000 BTU side burner under a flush mounted cover
- On knob piezoelectric igniters for individual burner ignition
- Porcelain enameled center lid piece with cast aluminum end caps
- 304 stainless steel, cast aluminum, enameled steel and steel frame construction
- Stainless steel rod cooking grates and "flavorizer" bars
- Handle mounted 3-LED battery powered grill light
- LP tank and cover not included
- Made in the United States by Weber
Guide Review - Weber Summit E-420 Gas Grill
The Summit line of gas grills represents the best of what Weber has to offer. This, the smallest and least expensive of the Summit line, is an attractive and capable gas grill.
What you get for around $1,500USD is a four burner, 48,800 BTU gas grill with a side burner. Weber makes grills that produce great heat, for less fuel and provide a professional level of evenness in cooking. This unit will do pretty much everything you would want a gas grill to do from searing a steak to indirectly cooking a turkey.
Construction of this grill is excellent. Avoiding lots of stainless steel (except where it really counts), this grill is largely made from cast aluminum and porcelain enameled steel. Superior materials and welding make this a great grill that will last for many years.
This unit comes with a handle mounted, battery powered grill light that I find to be more gimmick that practical. If you want a light that will tell you where the chops are on the grill, this will do the job. If you need a light that will show you the color change on shrimp you might be a little hard pressed to see that with this light. A cute feature, and the only real gimmick to this grill.
All in all, this is a great grill. Even people who don't like Weber as a company have trouble complaining about this one. If you are serious about grilling and want a grill that will last you a long time, then this is the unit for you.
While you pay for the Weber name, they are the only company that will give you 24/7 support 364 days a year. They also have a great reputation for service. This grill is also available in natural gas.