The Bottom Line
This model has been discontinued. It is replaced by the Weber Summit S-470.
This is possibly the best of the "mass market" grills on the market. To get more quality and appearance in a grill you'll end up spending a lot more money. However, at about $1,950USD (though you can find it for around $1,650USD) there are a lot of grills that cook very well for less. Of course, they wouldn't be a Weber and won't have this kind of quality or durability.
Weber provides an excellent warranty and support, so you'll get a good 10 years out of this grill. This unit is a full function four burner grill with side burner and infrared rear mounted rotisserie burner.
- Even, high heat from 4 stainless steel burners
- Quality construction with double layer stainless steel for insulation
- Strong Warranty and support from Weber
- Attractive Design
- Brushed stainless steel finish won't show marks as easily
- Handle light is more gimmick than useful
- Limited work space
- Four 12,200 BTU stainless steel tubular burners for a maximum BTU output of 48,800
- 538 square inches of primary grilling space for a total cooking area of 650 square inches
- 12,000 BTU side burner under a flush mounted cover
- 10,600 BTU rear mounted infrared rotisserie burner with the tuck-away rotisserie system
- 8,000 BTU dedicated smoker burner with removable stainless steel smoker box
- Double layer stainless steel hood with built in thermometer and handle mounted LED light
- On knob piezoelectric igniter for individual burner ignition
- 304 stainless steel, cast aluminum and steel frame construction
- Stainless steel rod cooking grates and "flavorizer" bars
- Sold propane or natural gas - not convertible
- Made in the USA by Weber-Stephen Products Company
Guide Review - Weber Summit S-450
The Weber Summit line of gas grills represents the best of what Weber has to offer. This, the smallest of the Summit line, is an attractive and capable gas grill. What you get for around $1,950USD is a four burner, 48,800 BTU gas grill with a side burner and full rotisserie system including rear mounted infrared rotisserie burner. Weber makes grills that produce great heat, for less fuel and provide a professional level of evenness in cooking. This unit will do pretty much everything you would want a gas grill to do (rotisserie kit optional) from searing a steak to indirectly cooking a turkey.
This unit comes with a handle mounted, battery powered grill light that I find to be more gimmick that practical. If you want a light that will tell you where the chops are, this will do the job. If you need a light that will show you the color change on shrimp you might be a little hard pressed to see that with this light. A cute feature, and the only real gimmick to this grill.
This grill comes with Weber's new tuck-away rotisserie system that mounts the motor on a drop down platform on the side table and gives you space to store the rod and forks in the cabinet.
All in all this is a great grill. Even people who don't like Weber as a company have trouble complaining about this one. If you are serious about grilling and want a great grill that will last you a long time, then this is the unit for you.
While you pay for the Weber name, they are the only company that will give you 24/7 support 364 days a years. They also have a great reputation for service. This grill is also available in natural gas.