The Bottom Line
This built-in version of the Summit S-470 gas grill is a four burner unit that offers all the advantages of a Weber Summit grill in an insert unit. This insert grill is unique in size and cut out so make sure you can fit it before you buy. If you can, then this grill offers everything you would want in a custom grill, but at a more affordable price than many other similar units (this one lists for $2,299USD).
There is a full rotisserie system including infrared rotisserie burner. You also get an internal smoker burner, plus there is the option of a flush mounted side burner module.
- Even, high heat from 4 stainless steel burners
- Quality construction with double layer stainless steel for insulation
- Strong Warranty and support from Weber
- Full feature grill insert with rotisserie system and smoker burner
- Requires a large, nonstandard cut out
- Handle light is more gimmick than useful
- Six 12,200 BTU stainless steel tubular burners
- 468 square inches of primary grilling space for a total cooking area of 580 square inches
- 48,800 BTU output from the main burners
- 6,800 BTU dedicated smoker burner with a stainless steel smoker box and a 10,600 BTU internal booster sear burner
- 10,600 BTU rear mounted infrared rotisserie burner with full kit included
- Stainless steel, cast aluminum, and steel frame construction
- Double layer stainless steel hood with built in thermometer and built-in double door cabinet
- On knob piezoelectric igniters for individual burner ignition
- Stainless steel rod cooking grates and "flavorizer" bars
- Sold either propane or natural gas - not convertible
- Made in the USA
Guide Review - Weber Summit S-460 Built-In Gas Grill
The Summit S-660 built-in gas grill is comparable to the Weber Summit S-470. With 468 square inches of primary grilling space this is a big grill but not as large as the Weber Summit S-660. The four burner design gives you a wide range of versatility and temperature control. The excellent heating and very even output of the stainless steel tubular burners make this a great unit to grill on. You also get the versatility of an independent infrared rotisserie burner with full rotisserie set with a 10,600 BTU infrared rotisserie burner, a 6,800 BTU smoker burner with a smoker box and a 10,600 BTU internal booster sear burner. There is an optional, matching side burner unit that can be added to any grill island alongside.
As an insert this grill has a unique size and shape with a double door cabinet built into the unit underneath the grill. This not only gives you storage space (potentially saving you from buying another cabinet) but acts to safely distance the cooking chamber from your custom enclosure. I do suggest that you take a long look at this grill before you make any commitment. It does look very similar to a freestanding unit with the side tables removed and pushed into an enclosure.
While some insert grills have standard sizes that allow you to change them out with a similar sized unit, this one requires a serious commitment since any other unit will not fit the cut out. Of course, this Weber is built to last and the frame structure is very solid. You should get a good decade out of this grill is you take care of it (custom fitting covers are available).