Laver cakes are an essential part of a Welsh breakfast but can also be served as a side dishes with roast meats. This quick and simple Laver Cake recipe is adapted from a recipe by Gilli Davies in her book A Taste of Wales.
- 4 ounces/100 grams laverbread (seaweed; fresh or canned)
- 1 ounces/25 grams oatmeal (medium or fine)
- 2 teaspoons bacon fat (or lard)
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the laverbread and oatmeal. Divide the mixture into 2 inch/5cm round and ¾ inch/2cm thick patties.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan on the stove top. Add the fat to the pan and heat to hot but not burning. Slide the patties carefully into the hot fat a couple at a time and fry quickly for 2 - 3 minutes on each side.
- Lift carefully from pan with a palette knife and lay onto kitchen paper to drain. Serve as part of a Welsh breakfast or as a side dish to roast meats.