This breakfast casserole is made with all of the great flavor of a Western omelet or Denver omelet or sandwich. Ham, onion, and chopped bell pepper go into the easy one-dish breakfast casserole, along with cheddar cheese, cubed bread, and eggs. Add some tomatoes or mushrooms to the dish, or replace the ham with Canadian bacon, sausage, or bacon. See the tips and variations below the recipe for more ingredient and substitution ideas.
Make this easy breakfast casserole the night before. Refrigerate the casserole overnight and pop it in the oven in the morning. It's perfect for a holiday mornings and family gatherings.
For a hearty breakfast, serve the breakfast bake with juice and sweet rolls or cinnamon rolls or add sliced fresh fruit, berries, or a warm fruit compote. The Western omelet ingredients go well with ketchup or salsa on the side.
Related Recipe: Impromptu Ham and Cheddar Breakfast Casserole
- 8 slices white bread, crust removed, cut into cubes
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, sharp or mild
- 1 1/4 cups cooked ham, diced (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- salsa or ketchup, for serving, optional
- Butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish (about 12-by-8-by-2-inches).
- Remove the crusts from the bread and cut it into small cubes.
- Place the bread cubes in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over the bread and then top with the ham, onion, and green bell pepper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk with the salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour the egg mixture over ham and cheese mixture.
- Cover the casserole and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove the breakfast casserole from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Uncover the casserole and bake it in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until set.
Serves 6 to 8.
- To bake the casserole right away, prepare it and let it stand for 20 minutes. Bake in a preheated 350 F oven as directed, until set.
- Use a combination of red and green bell peppers in the egg mixture.
- Replace the cheddar cheese with a cheddar jack cheese blend or Mexican blend of cheeses.
- Replace the diced ham with 1 cup of cooked crumbled or thinly sliced breakfast sausage or some cooked and crumbled bacon (about 10 to 12 strips of bacon).
- Add about 1/2 cup of diced seeded tomatoes to the ham and vegetable mixture.
- Saute 4 ounces of sliced mushrooms and add them to the vegetable and ham mixture.