Apartment amenities include features of a building that you wouldn't expect to find everywhere. The more amenities a building has, the more likely it will gain a competitive edge in attracting prospective tenants.
Common examples include a fitness center, business center, balconies, laundry room, swimming pool, childcare center, playground, and community room.
Apartment Amenities to Draw Renters
When you are looking for an apartment, you should keep in mind which amenities are most important for your lifestyle.
This will be your home for months and even years to come. What will make it more pleasant, and what isn't worth any extra rental dollars?
For owners and developers, it is important to know which amenities will give the most return on their investment. Whether you are designing a new apartment complex or renovating an existing one, it pays to stay up on the trends. Some amenities, such as a pool, require not only an initial allocation of space and expense to build but significant ongoing maintenance. Others can be installed at little initial or ongoing cost. Some can even save a landlord money and time.
Which amenities are valued most by renters also depends on their age group and lifestyle. Is it a family-friendly building? Is it in a college market? Is it best for retired, empty-nest renters?
Amenities by Category
Transportation and Parking Amenities
- Covered parking
- Assigned parking spaces
- Bike storage lockers
- Shared car services
- Electric car charging stations
- Pedestrian-friendly - Walk Score
- Bus stop/Public transportation access
- Shared laundry room
- Washers and dryers in the units
- Laundry service
- Dishwasher in unit
- High-end kitchen appliances
- High-end countertops and finishes
- Energy-efficient appliances
- Patio or balcony
- Wood flooring
- Storage in unit
- Charging outlets with USB ports
- Smart Controls for Heating/Cooling
- High-Speed Internet
- Cable or Satellite TV
- Online Options for leasing, paying rent, and making maintenance requests
- Fitness center
- Yoga/dance studio
- Community Center
- Media room
- Party room
- Community events and classes
- Outdoor areas
- Jogging/walking/bike path or access to one nearby
- Close to schools
- Babysitting/Afterschool services
- Security cameras
- Security guard
- Gated access
- Valet trash
- Recycling center
- Doorstep recycling collection