A Roulade is a French culinary term meaning a "roll," and can refer to a savory dish or a sweet dish.
If used in the savory sense, a roulade is a thin piece of meat, poultry, fish and sometimes vegetables (eggplant, zucchini strips, for example) that is spread with a filling. The filling can consist of ground meat of contrasting flavor (like ground pork in flank steak), breadcrumbs, vegetables, mushrooms, pickles, cheese, hard-cooked eggs and other ingredients.
The meat, poultry, fish or vegetable strip is then rolled up and tied or sometimes skewered with a toothpick. The roulade is cooked (usually by braising in the case of beef) on the stovetop or in the oven, and often served with gravy or some type of sauce. Here are 7 Savory Roulade Recipes you might enjoy.
A sweet roulade, on the other hand, usually refers to a dessert made with sponge cake and variously filled with whipped cream, pastry cream, ganache, jam and sometimes fruit, and then rolled up jellyroll fashion. These dessert roulades are also commonly called Swiss rolls. The cake is said to have originated in Central Europe, not Switzerland, so the name's origins are unclear. Here are 6 Dessert Roulades to try your hand at.
Pronunciation of Roulade: roo-LAHD
Roulade Is Also Known As: Polish rolada, German rouladen, Italian braciola
Example: I made a Hungarian beef roulade stuffed with hard-cooked eggs.
For dessert, we had a Hungarian raspberry-cream roulade.
Roulades Appear In Every Cuisine
Some form of food roll exists in every cuisine. Consider the Chinese egg roll, for example. Here is an international collection of roulade recipes, both savory and sweet.
Savory Roulade Recipes
- Polish Salmon Roulade Recipe
- Hungarian Beef Roulade Recipe
- Croatian Zucchini Roulade Recipe
- Italian Beef Braciole Recipe
- Italian Eggplant Involtini Recipe
- German Beef Roulade Recipe
- German Chicken Rolls in Pickle Radish Cream Recipe
- Easy Stuffed Chicken Roulade Recipe
- Pesto-Stuffed Turkey Breast Roulade Recipe
- Chicken Roulade Stuffed with Bacon Recipe
- Bacon-Wrapped Turkey Roulade Recipe
- Japanese Egg Roulade Recipe
- Crockpot Steak Roulade Recipe
Dessert Roulade Recipes
- Polish Poppy Seed Roll Recipe
- Polish Blueberry Roulade Recipe
- Polish Strawberry Roulade Recipe
- Passover Nut Sponge Roulade Recipe
- Kosher Cheese Roulade Recipe
- Serbian Log Cake Recipe
- Hungarian Raspberry Cream Roll Recipe
- British Blackberry and Caramelized Apple Roulade Recipe
- Raw Vegan Chocolate Walnut Roulade Recipe
- Strawberry Jellyroll Cake Recipe
- Pumpkin Cake Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- French Chocolate Chestnut Roulade Recipe