Puff pastry is like a pie crust that rises high with no leavening. The key to using puff pastry is knowing what it is and how it works. There are four main ingredients in puff pastry: flour, butter, salt, and water. There is no . So what makes it rise up so high and makes it so airy? It is the way these ingredients are combined that causes the reaction.
The dough begins like pie crust with cold butter mixed into the flour to a cornmeal consistency.
Once it comes together is when the true labor begins. The dough is rolled around a thick slab of butter. Through a process of folding, turning, and rolling, the butter is dispersed throughout the dough creating hundreds of very thin layers of dough separated by a film of butter.
The butter layer is what causes the rise. When the pastry is heated, the butter melts and boils, creating steam which lifts the successive layers higher and higher. At the same time, the heat is cooking the flour, hardening it around those minute air pockets, creating the puff.
Puff pastry expands 6 to 8 times its pre-baked height. Puff pastry is known as Pâté feuilletée, in France and is used in the making of Napoleons, palmiers, croissants, allumettes, turnovers, en croute dishes, pithiviers, tartes tatain, beef Wellington, bouchées, and vol-au-vents.
Puff Pastry Recipes
• Bacon Cheeseburger Puff Rolls
• Baked Brie in Puff Pastry
• Bay Scallops in Puff Pastry with Lobster Cream Sauce
• Brie in Puff Pastry with Vegetables and Ale
• Broccoli and Mushrooms in Puff Pastry
• Cheesy Prosciutto Puff Pastry Rounds
• Easy Chicken Wellington
• Easy Lemon Tarts
• Fresh Peach Dumplings
• Homemade Puff Pastry from Scratch
• Honey Apple Pie
• Individual Potato Tarts
• Lamb Loin Wrapped in Puff Pastry
• Lemon Meringue Puff Tarts
• Lobster Domes
• Marlborough Pudding Pie
• Meat Loaf in Puff Pastry
• Mini Sausage Quiches
• Mini Shrimp Quiches
• Quick Puff Pastry
• Sacristan Cookies
• Sausage, Pepper, Brie & Pine Nuts in Puff Pastry
• Sausage Puffballs
• Sausage Rolls
• Spinach and Artichokes in Puff Pastry
• Tomato Bisque Croustade