When it comes to designing a beautiful bedroom, if you want your bed to have Pinterest-worthy good looks, you need at least a few throw pillows to add a dash of color and pattern to the mix. Regardless of your decorating style—modern, traditional, cottage, or eclectic—if your bed looks drab, prop a couple of colorful or trendy throw pillows in front of your bed pillows, and voila, you've added some character—and you didn't need to spend a lot of money to do it. Not only that, throw pillows or accent pillows are like bling for the entire bedroom; they add the finishing touch that transforms a boring bedroom into a luxurious oasis.
Where Do You Put Them All?
But after you've created your wonderful sanctuary for sleep, and it's time to head to dreamland, where do you put all those pillows? Toss them on the floor, where they become a tripping hazard, a fur-collecting bed for the dog or a magnet for the dust bunnies hiding under your mattress? Or do you put the “toss” in toss pillows by tossing them to the foot of the bed, from where they’ll inevitably end up on the floor anyway? Or maybe it’s your bed partner who has no patience with extra pillows and flings them out of his way each night with a grumble of annoyance. Whatever your situation, here are some solutions to help you end your nightly pillow fight.
- Cut down the quantity. Yes, a couple of toss pillows transform ho-hum bedding set from snooze to wake-up call. But that doesn’t mean the more, the merrier—as a general rule, anything over three toss pillows is too much. Banish any extras to the living room sofa, or use them in the guest room.
- Make space for your pillows in a closet or wardrobe. If you have a nice armoire, closet, or wardrobe in your bedroom, save a little room for your pillows. Or set them on top of the clothes hamper.
- Place your pillows in a chest, storage bench, or trunk at the foot of the bed. If you have a decorative chest or trunk in your bedroom, put it to good use! This is also a great way to stow extra blankets and linens. Unless your bedroom is truly tiny, a trunk or storage bench is a great way to add storage space to your bedroom.
- If you have a window seat with storage underneath, use that as your pillow stash. Or just arrange the pillows on the seat for a little decorative touch.
- Find some nice plastic storage bins that you can slide under your bed for your pillows. You’ll find a wide range of sizes at Target, Walmart, or similar stores.
- Put them on your bedroom reading nook chair. You do have a chair in your bedroom for reading, sitting to pull on your shoes, or just sitting and thinking, right?
Whatever solution you decide on, remember to restore the toss pillows to their position of glory once it’s time to make your bed again and head out to face your busy day.