Who to Notify If You Change Your Name

Social Security and Driver's License Comes First

If you decide to change your name after you get married, here are the places you need to contact about your name change. Other than getting your Social Security Administration information and driver's license changed first, there is no order in who to contact first.

  • Social Security Administration
  • Driver's License
  • Automobile registration and insurance
  • Work related information
  • Insurance policies
  • Bank accounts
  • Investment accounts
  • Utility bills
  • Post Office
  • Credit cards
  • Passport
  • Medical records
  • Wills, legal documents
  • Organization and church memberships
  • Voter registration
  • Landlord or mortgage company